clip from a new film...

seth christian

• Premium Member

I like the fact that the tone shifts without any warning. The green cast over the images feels a little heavy handed. I liked the colors in the fantasy sequence, although I would suggest a bit less post effects. It appears like there is a heavy digital effect that is causing the highlights to glow. I actually like the idea of what the effect is doing, I just think it is would be more effective if it were applied more smoothly and subtly. I liked the dolly zoom shot because it started out as if it were going to be a vertigo/jaws film cliche, but you cut up the shot in an interesting way that made the move more lively and different.

What was your role in the film? I would suggest that you not refer to it as "A Film By." There are many who will disagree with me on this, many who I have a lot of respect for It is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. I guess it is my own personal bias/crusade. My feeling is that there is never only one creator in a film. The Cinematographer, The Editor, The Screenwriter, The Producer, The Director, The Production Designer, The Actors, The Sound Designer, etc are all major contributors to a film, and all to often, the Director is credited as the sole author of the film. I guess the only time where I would find this appropriate would be if one person literally did all of these things (or at least most of them), and to be honest, it is possible. My friend and I used to make short films like this in high school and college, but as the productions got bigger, it became impossible to work like that. There are two sides to this argument and I understand both sides. I am just letting you know my opinion on it.

All this aside, I am curious how the rest of it turned out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...