First Super 8 Film

Nick Norton

http://www.onthereeal.com/mesamis.html

Shot on 5 rolls of Ektachrome and one roll each of 200t and 500t. 18fps. Canon 518.

Since this is a movie mostly about rollerblading, i was planning to shoot outdoors in bright daylight. Therefore, i was planning to shoot the film entirely on ektachrome... save the indoor profile shots and any low-light skating that may take place. I was quite satisfied with all of the footage, however the vision stock blew me away. I don't think i will ever be shooting ektachrome anymore, and instead replace it with 200t and some ND filters. I also just purchased a canon 1014xls, so no more 18fps.

Nothing more than a skate film really, but let me know your thoughts and criticisms.

Thanks-

Nicholas

Nice work.

I have not shot super 8 and am looking for a camera. the canon 1018xl has caught my eye. should I consider that one as well. should I say, if I had only one, which one should I get?

It won't do 18fps?

gary

Shot on 5 rolls of Ektachrome and one roll each of 200t and 500t. 18fps. Canon 518.

Since this is a movie mostly about rollerblading, i was planning to shoot outdoors in bright daylight. Therefore, i was planning to shoot the film entirely on ektachrome... save the indoor profile shots and any low-light skating that may take place. I was quite satisfied with all of the footage, however the vision stock blew me away. I don't think i will ever be shooting ektachrome anymore, and instead replace it with 200t and some ND filters. I also just purchased a canon 1014xls, so no more 18fps.

Nothing more than a skate film really, but let me know your thoughts and criticisms.

Thanks-

Nicholas

Nice energy, loved it! Did you used a hand-held meter or the camera meter? The 200t was on the presentations of your friends?

I have one Canon 814 Auto Zoom and i will shoot with 200t and a hand-held "minolta view meter 9" soon :)

( someone knows how to use the cine function of this meter? msg me please )

Great film. I love rollerblading.

PS: My first post, hi people!

José.

• Premium Member
Nice work.

I have not shot super 8 and am looking for a camera. the canon 1018xl has caught my eye. should I consider that one as well. should I say, if I had only one, which one should I get?

It won't do 18fps?

gary

For info on Super 8 camera quality, click here:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=202918

For infos on Super 8 more generally, click here:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=26088

• Premium Member
PS: My first post, hi people!

José.

Welcome to Cinematography.com.

In order to feel truly welcome, you might want to remember what Tim (who runs this rather phantastic place) asked you for during the very first registration step here:

"PLEASE REGISTER A USERNAME USING YOUR FULL FIRST AND LAST NAME".

I suggest you change your user name in the control settings which are at your disposal in the upper right corner of this website.

Thanks.

Gary- I have heard that the Canon 1014xls is one of the best super 8 cameras ever made. So although it will also be one of the most expensive, it would certainly be a good investment. The Canon 1014xls will do 18fps, but it will also do 24 and 36 fps and even one frame at a time. The camera i shot the film on could only shoot 18fps (the slow-motion 36fps speed on the camera did not function.)

Jose- I used the in-camera meeter, but adjusted a lot on my own and also did not necessarily meeter the scene i shot, but rather something of a neutral color in the scene. I plan on getting a Spectra IV meter for my Canon 1014xls.

Thanks to anyone who has watched!

-Nicholas

Thanks-

Nicholas

Great film. Did you edit the film itself or via a digital post? How did you get clearance for that song? Must have cost a fortune.

chris

• 3 weeks later...

I had the film transfered to miniDV format to edit via adobe premiere. The film was transfered through Frame Discreet, and i could not have been happier. I highly recommend anyone to take advantage of such a great service.

And no, i certainly could not afford the rights to the New Order song... but i hope they won't mind me borrowing it. If i could afford the rights to that song... i would have shot it in 16mm, at least 24fps!

Thanks-

Nicholas

Excellent job. I wouldn't write off E64T entirely. True, it has its faults, but the results you got out of it were quite good. If you wanted to go with a better Ektachrome, you should try Spectra's Ektachrome 100D cartridges. You can put it in the camera and go. It's a little faster than E64T and the color is very strong.

• 2 weeks later...
And no, i certainly could not afford the rights to the New Order song... but i hope they won't mind me borrowing it. If i could afford the rights to that song... i would have shot it in 16mm, at least 24fps!

They will indeed mind you using it without permission. If all you ever do with it is show it to friends and family on their TV screens and NEVER post it on the web or show it publicly, then you MIGHT be safe. But you have already posted it, so be careful. You really limit what you can do with the film legally, basically nothing. Why not see if you can get some original music? I love New Order, but you might do better with something else. Besides, it would make your already great film even more professional with an original score.