how can i avoid this problem?

min soo kim

hello guys

I'm pretty new in here. Firstly, I appreciate all your discusions. It's really helpful.

Anyway, I have a question here. I'm going to shoot a short film next year. The situation is that my director wants to use lots of candles in some scene and there is a shot which is the actor's playing with a light bulb(i'm thinking using 40w) toward camera. I'm thinking there should be the flare of candles and light bulb somewhere on image.

When I worked a short film as a gaffer years ago, we had a same problem. I think we used arri high speed lens and a cook zoom lens at that time.

how can I sort it out? is there specail filtter or lense?

cheers

min

Edited by min soo kim

• Premium Member

Do you mean you want more flare? If the Zeiss Super-Speeds and Cooke zoom didn't flare enough and the brightness of the candles wasn't enough to get more flare out of those lenses (you can make the lightbulb as bright as you want -- I'd bet a 500w photoflood would flare plenty!) you might consider a mild diffusion filter to get more halation from the light sources in the frame.

There are some older lenses that may flare more (for example, the Ultra Speeds at Panavision, an old Ang. 25-250, etc.) but I'm not sure what's available to you.

It's confusing because you say "how do I avoid this problem?" in your title but then say "I think there should be flare" so I'm not sure if you want more flare or less flare.

If you want less flare, you need to use a modern prime lens like a Zeiss Master Prime (no flare) or Zeiss Ultra Prime or Cooke S4.

• Premium Member

you get more flare with a zoom lens than with a prime because it has more elements in it. however, a 40w bulb and candles are pretty dim sources, so i'm assuming you're using 500T. if that's the case, i can see a situation where the 40W might overpower the candle light, not to mention most zoom lenses aren't as fast as primes, so you may be underexposing.

The short answer is just to test it out. How many candles, and where they are, as well as the bulb and the specific lens you wish to, or need to, use for the shot will all effect whether or not you can get the flare you like, and/or get both the bulb and the candles to flare together.

Thank you very much for your answer.

sorry about making be confused. I want to get rid of flare from light bulb and candle. here is a example of photo.

post-19168-1198531084.jpg

red mark on the photo is from the head light of bus. I believe when I shoot actor with light bulb, the flare might move around because he is going to play with light bulb.

bugdget is not enough for zeiss master prime or cooke s4. any solution?

thanks

min

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I don't see what you can do to reduce the flares coming from the candles, but the bulb you can spray down the camera side/dim to reduce its output.

Max, what do you recommend for spraying bulbs? Thanks.