Old Canon Cine Lenses

Hey I just shot a few shorts on old Canon cine lenses (late 70's early 80's), they looked pretty good transfered to video, But now I am considering shooting a feature on the same lenses. Do you think they would be too soft for doing a 2k DI? I shot a comparison between those lenses and ziess t2.1's. The 2.1's seemed to be a little more snappy in terms contrast. I would prefer to use the canon's because I have easier access to them then a set of ziess lenses. Any DP's with experience using these lenses care to comment on their viability as a lens for the big screen?

steve

(oh and happy holidays everyone)

• Premium Member

Hi Stephen,

They will out resolve a 2K DI without problem. They breathe more than modern lenses & were a very popular alternative to Super Balatars & Cooke S2/3's when launched! I have a 18mm T1.5, it's sharper than a Super Speed wide open & cuts without problem with Super Speeds.

Stephen

Hey I just shot a few shorts on old Canon cine lenses (late 70's early 80's), they looked pretty good transfered to video, But now I am considering shooting a feature on the same lenses. Do you think they would be too soft for doing a 2k DI? I shot a comparison between those lenses and ziess t2.1's. The 2.1's seemed to be a little more snappy in terms contrast. I would prefer to use the canon's because I have easier access to them then a set of ziess lenses. Any DP's with experience using these lenses care to comment on their viability as a lens for the big screen?

steve

(oh and happy holidays everyone)

Hi Stephen,

They will out resolve a 2K DI without problem. They breathe more than modern lenses & were a very popular alternative to Super Balatars & Cooke S2/3's when launched! I have a 18mm T1.5, it's sharper than a Super Speed wide open & cuts without problem with Super Speeds.

Stephen

Now how do those lenses compare to a Cooke 20-100 3.1t varotal zoom in terms of sharpness? I have heard people say they think the zoom is sharper than the canon cine primes. I have shot with both and they both look pretty good, but again, they were printed to video. Does anyone have the experience to compare these lenses?

• Premium Member
Now how do those lenses compare to a Cooke 20-100 3.1t varotal zoom in terms of sharpness? I have heard people say they think the zoom is sharper than the canon cine primes. I have shot with both and they both look pretty good, but again, they were printed to video. Does anyone have the experience to compare these lenses?

Could you please be more specific about the particular lenses you are referring to? Are they Canon K35s, or different, rehoused Canon glass?

Could you please be more specific about the particular lenses you are referring to? Are they Canon K35s, or different, rehoused Canon glass?

I am not sure if they are the k35's but I know it is not rehoused glass. They are lenses specifically built for 35mm motion picture use. They are BNCR mount... that probably doen't help.

steve

• Premium Member
I am not sure if they are the k35's but I know it is not rehoused glass. They are lenses specifically built for 35mm motion picture use. They are BNCR mount... that probably doen't help.

steve

I take it the lenses are not in front of you. Do you recall the different focal lengths of the set? That might indicate which specific glass is in the set.