K-3 tripod mount

Joe Bressler

Hey...

I've got a k-3 camera and an old tripod i was using for 8mm shots before i got into 16mm. the old tripod has a screw mount that is not the same thread size as the k-3. i have noticed this same phenomenon with other people's tripods as well. i was wondering what other k-3 owners do about this? does anyone have any suggestions for tripods that work well with the k-3?

thanks and take care

Hum, K3 cameras take 3/8" screw mount plates. Most or all 8 mm cameras take 1/4" screw mount /plates. There are larger screw mounts for larger cameras as well. Tripods built both for larger, heavier cameras and smaller video cameras ship with plates that take the different sized screw mounts. Bogen tripods are generally good for the price, but you'll have to spend a good $600 bucks for a somewhat decent new tripod with an OK fluid head and a baseplate that takes several screws. There are too many tripods to choose from, and different people have their favorite brands. Look on ebay, I guess, for cheaper used tripods.

As an (asking for trouble?) alternative you can buy a $2.50 tripod socket converter here:

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_deta...?ItemCode=38-14

But a word to the wise: K3 cameras are designed to be used with the larger screw mounts because they are heavier and larger than the 8mm and small video cameras that are designed to be used with 1/4" screw mounts. So your K3 could fall and break should the socket converter fail, since that camera is not designed to be used with it. Just a disclaimer.