DVX100A and RedRock M2 Lens and Lighting Issues

Sean Bodden

I recently purchased a Redrock M2 Adaptor for my DVX100A. I purchased it with the Canon EOS lens adapter installed because i already had a selection of Canon lenses at my disposal. Although when i look on the website, the majority of the examples are with Nikon lenses. Even examples that i search for online are mainly with Nikon Lenses. One thing that i figured out with the adapter is that fixed lenses have a much sharper image (my 28-300mm zoom lens looked horrible, almost nothing was completely in focus).

But are the Nikon lenses better for this adapter than Canons? Or are there only specific Canon EOS lenses that I should use with the adapter?

Also i found that I now need way more light pumped into the image to grab any sort of visual. I had a scene in my short film where the set was located in an underground parking lot and the only light source we had were the fluorescents above us. the image was black. But when i took off the adapter I could see the scene perfectly. Is this normal behavior for this adapter?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

The RR steals around 2 stops of light, so the black image ins normal if you don't light it yourself.

The Canon lenses will be fine, but you have to make sure your backfocus is set (the focus of the camera lens onto the GG in the adapter). Consult the manual for how to do this. Loss of backfocus will lead to a "soft" image. Use a GOOD MONITOR to check your focus as the LCD screen/Viewfinder on the DVX may not be the best for all situations.

I will check out the back focus and see what happens.

Back focus isn't really an issue, it's just another step in the process of setting up your adapter for each setup.

The way to do it is to leave the Canon lens off the adapter, point the camera with the adapter attached (with the ground glass turned off) at a bright source and adjust the back focus until you can see the grain of the ground glass sharply.

• 8 months later...
Guest Steward

If I read it right... Redrock Micro is releasing a new ground glass element, tomorrow (10/1), that is said to give you back a little more than a stop or stop and a half, back...