1.85 Frame Leader Workflow

Peter Anderson

• Premium Member

The 1.85 framing chart should just match the 1.85 framelines in the viewfinder. You can point the camera at a large white card and look through the camera while someone else marks the corners of the 1.85 frame according to your instruction, and the corners of the full frame, and then draw the lines, and then shoot the chart.

Or have a 1.85 chart made up and then adjust your camera position so that it lines up with your camera's 1.85 markings and then shoot the chart.

So should a 1.85 chat simply look like two straight lines (and three white sections)? How long should I shoot it and should there be any notation made on the chart for the postprocessing lab?

Edited by Prokopi Constantinou

• Premium Member
So should a 1.85 chat simply look like two straight lines (and three white sections)? How long should I shoot it and should there be any notation made on the chart for the postprocessing lab?

It would be useful to have vertical side lines OR arrows pointing out to each corner of the frame in case there is any side-to-side problems with the camera or the post.

10 seconds would be enough I would think, especially if it just for the telecine operator. Maybe 20 seconds if it is for a projectionist, though there is no 1.85 16mm projection to deal with so this is really just a post tool for anyone letterboxing the transfer or doing the blow-up, etc.

Shoot a slate before it saying it is a 1.85 framing chart, and also have some words in the middle of the chart that give the name of the production and say that is it a 1.85 framing chart or leader.

It would be useful to have vertical side lines OR arrows pointing out to each corner of the frame in case there is any side-to-side problems with the camera or the post.

10 seconds would be enough I would think, especially if it just for the telecine operator. Maybe 20 seconds if it is for a projectionist, though there is no 1.85 16mm projection to deal with so this is really just a post tool for anyone letterboxing the transfer or doing the blow-up, etc.

Shoot a slate before it saying it is a 1.85 framing chart, and also have some words in the middle of the chart that give the name of the production and say that is it a 1.85 framing chart or leader.

Thanks a lot David. I am constantly humbled by the time you take to help people out on this forum. Much appreciated