Big films in Boston

Alexander Disenhof

• Premium Member
Its been pretty exciting as a New England native and a student in Boston to see all the big films coming to shoot in the city. Has anyone gotten the chance to work on any of them?

Hi Alexander,

With the new tax credits, man everybody is going to be working. People are going to move up much

faster than ever before in this city. There are half a dozen big films coming into town in the next

four or five months.

I've assembled a decent kit with my camera, lights, car mount, various gear so I'm concentrating on

working exclusively as a D.P.. Thus I won't be working on any of these films but I'll tell you there are

going to be a lot of production assistants promoted to grip/electric on a faster track. This past August

there were a couple of weeks when there were productions that were just looking for bodies (well, sorta.)

Where do you go to school? You should check out Central Booking. I'm signed up with them. It's a real

fair deal and Tim Van Patten, the guy who runs it (it's his company) is an excellent guy. He's honest and

candid and he'll talk to you and tell you straight what he thinks he might or might not be able to get you for

work.

Also, check out newenglandfilm.com if you don't already know about it. There are a lot of small films on

there looking for crew and although some don't pay, many are serious productions on which you can

get good experience if that's of interest to you.

If you talk to Tim though that could get you some money work. What's happening is that with so much more

work in town, the big shows are getting the seasoned crews and the smaller films and commercials that are

still shooting too are hiring people that might not have been first on the list.

Hey Tim, thanks for the thorough answer! I will definitely contact those offices. I go to Emerson College, and I work a lot as a DP and in the electrical department (as a gaffer, BBE, etc.) on tons of student films, so I would love to try my hand at some pro shows. Also, if you need any extra hands on anything, I'd be glad to help!

• Premium Member
Hey Tim, thanks for the thorough answer! I will definitely contact those offices. I go to Emerson College, and I work a lot as a DP and in the electrical department (as a gaffer, BBE, etc.) on tons of student films, so I would love to try my hand at some pro shows. Also, if you need any extra hands on anything, I'd be glad to help!

Sure thing. I've got some stuff coming up, so e-mail me a contact number if you want.