Best looking super8 you have seen?

Guest kissa

What is the best looking super8 you have seen? So far everything i've come across has looked disappointingly bad. I hear people saying that it could look as good as 16 mm, but where's all that stuff??? Any links?

What is the best looking super8 you have seen?

Natural Born Killers looked pretty good.

The thing about Super8 is that it can look apalling and it can also look amazingly good.

However, just as with any form of photography, if your camera is decent with decent glass, and you know what you're doing the results can be really really good.

I personally have shot many very dissappointing shots but I also shot many that make it hard to believe it is super8.

I had a wind up Kinoflex Russian camera that cost £100. I show people fotage from this camera sometimes (K40) - when I show them the dodgy looking camera that is clockwork too, they can't believe it.

Matt

What is the best looking super8 you have seen? So far everything i've come across has looked disappointingly bad. I hear people saying that it could look as good as 16 mm, but where's all that stuff??? Any links?

I haven't posted any of my footage - still haven't paid to get it transfered but I have shot K-40 at Malibu Beach with a Beaulieu 6008 Angenieux 6-90mm lens and Angeniuex 6-70mm lens that when projected at 18fps, in complete dark of course, looks so vibrant and life like that it is just stunning. I gave up shooting my Canon GL1 camcorder after that - it's just not anywhere near as exciting. Other posts here are right - you must have a decent camera like a Nizo, Beaulieu, or Canon, and it must be serviced, then shoot K-40 or Tri-X B&W in correct lighting conditions and project with a decent projector like an Elmo, or Chinon, Sankyo etc. The projected picture is about 6 ft by 4 1/2ft on my white wall, which is fine for veiwing. Kodachrome is a step above the other stocks - Tri-x B & W being next coolest.

Rocket 88

I've shot a lot of terrible looking S8, and some that was amazingly good.

I don't have any of my stuff posted anywhere that I can show you at the moment, but I will in the not too distant future.

The good stuff I've shot, by the way, was on Kodachrome 40.

I personally have not liked the look of any of the neg stocks in Super 8.

Just too grainy for this small a format.

Matt Pacini

the best super 8 I seen was an old video shot by a friend of mine about who knows how many years ago.

He is 35 now, and she the film when he was younger for a friend's birthday party. It looks pretty damn good to be as old as It was on top of everything.

It's only 8 minutes long, but the way he shot it, and the lighting that day was amazing.

One of the best Super8 stuff I have seen, ever.

A web video isn't exactly going to show off any medium's best qualities. Here's an idea. go shoot some, transfer it someplace good ( read: Flying Spot) and see what you think... :)

Exactly! the best is good film work and projecting, or Flying Spot with negs. freeze frame digitized stills on the net don't do much justice.

I must agree, most of the stuff I've seen on websites bragging, has looked like excrement.

I stick to Kodachrome 40 in Super 8, because it's the only thing I can stand to look at, as far as grain goes.

Plus, it's the cheapest!

Matt Pacini

I love K40 (and all other Kodachrome variants for that matter) however the negative stocks are very capable indeed, especially the 200 Vision and Vision 2 and I have been very satisfied with the results.

The EXR 50D from Pro8 is also excellent, for obvious reasons, and is far more suitable than K40 for stuff like snow scapes and any other high contrast scenes.

Matt