Simple lighting, not so simple?

plain-jayne

hey,

if anyone has seen japanese horror films like The Ring, Ju-on and even the recent horror film called One Missed Call, i wanted to know if it was easy to light some of the scenes. I noticed that there are scenes where the lighting is really natural as if there was only one light source or a practical and yet we can see the different ranges and even the shadows, especially scenes in the living area, bedroom. Is something that looks so simple, really easy to create, or is there more to it? any ideas?

That is such a wide-ranging question. Can you narrow it down to a specific scene from a specific film?

To answer the general question it can be both ways, if the location gives you what you want then you can just supplement what is there. Easy enough. But other times that natural look may have been created with numerous fixtures and a truck full of flags, scrims and diffusion.

It's best to take the attitude that you will do anything to get what you want. I like to work from the concept of how I would do something if I had an unlimited budget and access to anything. It makes it clear to me how to do it with what I actually have.