Best Photographers

Barbara Knijff

I'm writing a final-essay for school for my graduation about: One framed movies.

I'm looking for artists like: Jeff Wall and Cregory Crewdson

post-31168-1200255935.jpg

Gregory Crewdson - Family dinner

Can you give me more names from artists who you think I have to mention in my project!

And offcourse those who have some great pictures! (Or filosofie or way of working..etc.)

(I'm looking for pictures and not stills from movies, only real photography..)

I'm from the Netherlands and I think there are much more of this kind of artists in the USA!

It's so hard to find some good artists or material about this subject here! :angry:

(Sorry for my bad english..)

I hope you can help me out! :)

Thnx!

post-31168-1200255659.jpg

Barbara, i think it largely depends on your taste. For instance, I don't like Crewdson at all (i saw lots of his "art" in an exhibition a week ago), while I love, for instance, Salgado or Cartier-Bresson (and many, many others). In a way, you could say that every photographer tries to tell a story with a single picture, hence "one framed movies".

I think it'd be better for you and for your essay if you chose the ones you really like based on your own personal judgement and taste.

Hi Francesco

Thnx for your reply! But this is not about my personal taste..

Ofcourse that will be a part of my essay, but for now I want to know the story's, technics, and filosofies

about how a picture 'such as that one from Crewdson became that picture.

I mentioned those 2 photographers, just to show you what I mean..

Salgado is in my opinion more registrated photography.. Most of his pictures are not directed.

The pictures of Cartier-Bresson could be directed, but I don't think they are..

Both are great photographers, but not the photography what I was looking for.

I know every photographer want to tell his story with a picture, that's what its all about!

But I mean photographers who make whole settings before they take a picture..

Barbara, i think it largely depends on your taste. For instance, I don't like Crewdson at all (i saw lots of his "art" in an exhibition a week ago), while I love, for instance, Salgado or Cartier-Bresson (and many, many others). In a way, you could say that every photographer tries to tell a story with a single picture, hence "one framed movies".

I think it'd be better for you and for your essay if you chose the ones you really like based on your own personal judgement and taste.

But I mean photographers who make whole settings before they take a picture..

Ok, i'll try again then, although I think it's a very broad definition...basically every fashion photographer could appear in your essay ;)

Anyway, the first two names that come to my mind are David LaChapelle and Oliviero Toscani, heavily staged pictures for both of them. Hope it helps...

Helmut Newton and Steven Klein.

Steven Klein is more like it!

That's more a photographer who is utilizing a cinematic aesthetic.

Photos who are all like scenes in a movie.. each shot is an epic, both in creating the image and the final result.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is not very useful unless we post some examples. Naming Names turns into a pissing contest :)

Albert Watson

001.jpg

006.jpg

059.jpg

I am really an avid fan of his contemporary style. Rich contrast in his Black and whites; very interesting subjects and beautiful compositions.

Finding his work recently has paralelled my journey into integrating design, and conceptualizing into my own work. He is a big inspiration.

I wanted to look through his most recent book and try to pick one things that I would do differently in each of his shots. I started to notice how few images I wanted to "correct" something in them, and then realized very shortly after that I was only going to degrade his images. They are perfect.