Kinor P2 for Sale on ebay, rarest one made!

Joe Walker

For all of you kinor fans, one of the rarest models of the kinor cameras, the PII or P2, is for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIAN-35mm-MOVIE-CAM...1QQcmdZViewItem

Obviously, it's an Aaton 35 copy. This one has come up for sale before, namely back in late 2005. I wanted to buy it, but couldn't justify spending that much money for a camera that may or may not be B&H film convertible and is quite noisy. There are a few people in Russia who can work on the thing but it could be costly. Here's what I know about these cameras:

1. They're 52db at 24fps.

2. Fixed mirror shutter at 180 degrees.

3. Must have a separate controller to adjust the speeds, i.e. the belt pack in the pictures. If I'm not mistaken the batteries plug into that pack.

4. It uses 200ft and 400ft mags.

5. Orientable viewfinder with extensions.

6. OCT-19 mount.

7. It is rumored that only 13 of these prototypes were ever made.

Anyways, thought I'd just share that with you guys. I myself had a Kinor CX 16mm that Anatoly at Slow Motion Inc converted to Super 16 for me a while back, so I can appreciate these Russian tank cameras!

I love Kinors but why would you buy a RARE Russian movie camera, ESPECIALLY a camera where there were only 13 made 22 years ago? Where in the WORLD would you ever find parts? If you want a small, noisy, lightweight MOS Russian movie camera with a OCT-19 mount that will only handle 200 and 400 mag loads for about a grand or 2, there are about a BILLION Konvas M2 s out there that have parts readily available, are already set up to use Kodak and have TONS of people who can work on them. That's probably the reason that the Aaton copy never made it past the 13 prototypes, there was already a proven, reliables and plentiful camera out there that did the same job. B)

James,

I highly agree with your assesment, which is the exact reason I never decided to buy that model. I was only linking this model to show a rare example of a Kinor P2. I just find it fascinating is all. I know some on here are collectors and what not, and I thought I would reference them to one of the "neater" Kinor cameras. You're absolutely right that the Konvas cameras are a better buy, as you can find plenty of parts and modifications can be made relatively easily. Just think of it as a camera museum history lesson. :)

I'm not raggin' on ya, dude, by any means. I woulda figured some Russian cinema museum would wanna snatch this one up as it's virtually complete and un-used. I thought about buying one of the Ultra-cams that were available at one time, (I think there were about 15 or so of those made, there's a thread on 'em in 35mm I started) BUT I decided to stick with the Kinor 35C because thought the Kinor 35C s are rare, they're not THAT rare and I could use it for production. Anything as rare as he PII would be pretty much useless as for all but a museum piece to me because I'D be afraid of breaking it and destroying a bit of cinema history. "Course now, if you wanted to own one just to have it, the one for $1500 buck would be a cheap way to own a piece of cinema history. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Also this guy has another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIAN-35mm-MOVIE-CAM...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's pretty cheap compared to the first one.

I can build of crystal sync speed control unit for body of Kinor-35pII camera.

About maintainability.

I think, the reliability of all russian cine cameras and Kinor-35PII high and if you can run of camera, and will service of camera routinely, the camera will work long.

Yes, Konvas more prevailing, well-known, more investigated.

But, Kinor-35PII have more modern technical engineering achievement.

Thta's why, I think, this is camera can draw attention.

• 1 month later...

It looks great, reminds me of lego blocks. Where are these things kept before they appear on ebay? I mean is their a huge stockpile of privately owned cameras in Russia? Around the world?

I wonder how much of a problem running kodak stock through it would cause. Presumably such a large viewfinder means it would be relatively bright?

• 7 months later...

WEEEELLLL, I ummm guess I have to eat a little salted crow here. I bought the damn thing. I kept looking at it and eventually made an offer which was promptly rejected. Well it didn't sell and didn't sell and finally they emailed me back with a counter offer a few days ago, we negotiated and I eventually got it at an acceptable price. (cheaper than an equivalent Konvas package and I like the ergonomics of the camera design better than the Knovas.) so I'm now the proud owner of a very rare Soviet camera package. What REALLY sold me was just the shear size if the package, the fact that it LITERALLY had just about everything, is a sound sync camera AND even came with an anamorphic gate. It seemed to be the perfect camera to shoot much of Blood Moon Rising on. I wish it was quieter BUT what ya gonna do. HOPEFULLY I won't have a problem converting it to B&H perf. We'll have to see but I think it will work out beautifully.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• 2 years later...

Hey James,

I haven't checked back here in years, so you bought the Kinor PII?!!!! That's awesome, do you still have it and could you email me some pics? Wow, where have I been, I should check in here more often.

• 1 month later...

Bruce at Aranda has the camera body and is doing some of his meticulous work on it. Olex is reconditioning the mags and is quieting them down. I was able to pick up a near mint condition Kinor matte box for it from Raf at a price I just couldn't turn down. I've been a little side-tracked trying to create a situation to self fund my film project which is finally starting to come together and intend to use the PII as the primary camera as it will save a lot of setup time. I still need to find a couple of 400 ft mags if possible but that's gonna be tough. I may look into having the 200 ft converted to 400 ft mags if I can't find any. I missed a 200 ft because I was broke at the time but I'm not sure if it ever sold so I MAY be able to still get it. If you go to Konvas.org you can see the pics from the ad. I sent the camera and mags directly to Olex and Bruce so I haven't had a chance to take pics yet.