AJ-HPX3000 Uncompressed, 60fps?

Joakim Sandstrom

I hate compression

Anyone know if one would be able to directy access the HPX3000 sensor data?

I was hoping the sensor can do 60p, and that the compression is all post-sensor stuff.

It says Picture Elements: Total: 2010 (H) x 1120 (V)

Recording on a PC using a custom, massive SAS RAID0 setup?

It would like that, 2010 x 1120 @ 60 fps >=10bit RGB

If not easily, could someone hack into it and perhaps get this working?

Many thanks

Joakim Sandstrom

Edited by Joakim Sandstrom

If it has HD-SDI output then yes you can record that although it may be 4:2:2.

Thanks Phil,

It does have HD-SDI out, single link. Can that do 10-bit and 60p?

Why is it so quiet qbout this camera, HPX3000 with a digiprime must look pretty good,

the specs are almost F23.

• Premium Member
Why is it so quiet qbout this camera, HPX3000 with a digiprime must look pretty good,

the specs are almost F23.

It's not quite the F23 -- it has a more "traditional" 2/3" video prism and color gamut, 4:2:2, and no variable frame rates. It's more of a direct competitor to the F900, which isn't really the top of the food chain anymore.

But as cameras go, yes it's very nice and offers great quality at a reasonable price point. The camera hasn't been out that long, and there was in delay in post support for the AVC-intra codec (which still has hardware limitations). In time its popularity will grow, I'm sure.

• Premium Member

Here's a quote from Barry Green on another forum (I hope I'm allowed to quote him):

Ian Bates saw a "shootout" at the Jackson Hole film festival that featured the F23, HPX3000, Red, and others. He said that the HPX3000 and F23 were visually indistinguishable. Considering the F23 costs 4x as much, that's saying something for the 3000.

What would you like to know? ;-)

The Scan Reverse is an image flip. It is needed for Canon's anamorphic adapter (as well as the old Zeiss/Angenieux CLA-55 adapter) because that projects a flipped image to the sensor. The Canon anamorphic adapter works well although a white shading and other adjustments need to be done to the camera to adjust for the look of the device. Nothing impossible, but I ould never just throw one onto a camera and start shooting.

The anamorphic adapter adds 8" to the length of the camera, so if you used a zoom it will make for quite a long setup. Of course the Canon primes look great stuck out on the end. We've even tried out our new HD Scope (like a mini T-Rex) on the end and it looks great.

We have the HPX3000 available on both coasts, but the anamorphic adapter and the HD Scope generally live in NY so if you're interested we'd have to make arrangements for you. Not an issue, just let me know before you stop by the office.

Guest Glen Alexander
> If not easily, could someone hack into it and perhaps get this working?

Given £50k and a year anything is possible.

If it has HD-SDI output then yes you can record that although it may be 4:2:2.

P

I'm very interested if you can get this 10-bit workflow going. Agree, anything can be hacked, time and $$. If you post a workflow that has a modicum of success, I might be interested in having a go but I'm actually more interested in a 12-bit raw or 10-bit YUV solution.

• Premium Member

What I'd do would be to record the SDI. To be honest, the amount of farting about it takes to probe the raw data off the ADCs is out of all proportion to the increase in image quality (and yes I have done it, on a little SD camera).

Building a disk recorder to do this is no longer either difficult or expensive.

P

Hey Mitch. I was considering the HPX for a project. What can you tell me about the Scan reverse function and the anamorphic adapter advertised with the product.

Chayse, are you speaking of the ACV-235 Cinemascope adapter from Canon? If so I shot the first feature to use the adapter (it was the prototype) in 2005. Worked awesome. Used The Canon HD primes w/ the VariCam. There's a nice interview in HDVideoPro this month about our project. Lemme know if you have any questions.