Which Super 8's have the interchangeable lens feature?

gary szunyog

I would like to be aware of which cameras to look for with that feature.

On the other hand, is it possible to rig some s8 bodies to take 16mm lenses?

Beaulieu 2008, 3008, 4008, 5008, 6008, 7008, 9008 (all c mount)

Leicina Special (m mount)

(Nalcolm FTL 1000 [m42 mount with very rare adapter])

The Beaulieu 4008 would be your best bet as it takes C mount lenses and is one of, if not the best camera in the format.

Edited by jacob thomas

All the Beaulieu cameras bar the 1008 series, the Leicina Special, and the Russian Zenit Quarz Kinoflex have C mounts. So a 16mm lens is no problem, if some of your 16mm lenses aren't C Mount then a coverter should be available.

Best Regards :)

Maybe i can sneak in a question on the same matter aswell then.

I was thinking about getting a C-mount to M42 adapter for a 4008 (probably, as i dont own the 4008 yet)

"The Super8 book" by lenny lipton tells me "most" 35mm SLR lenses will work whit this adapter.

Which ones will not? Will there be any problems whit focal planes or distorted images?

Do you need a colimate for every lens? (I think colimate is the right word)

Thanks!

All the Beaulieu cameras bar the 1008 series, the Leicina Special, and the Russian Zenit Quarz Kinoflex have C mounts. So a 16mm lens is no problem, if some of your 16mm lenses aren't C Mount then a coverter should be available.

Best Regards :)

The kinoflex/quartz is not really C mount. It has a "C mount" but as there is a prime lens behind it the only lens likely to work is the zoom that comes with it.

"The Super8 book" by lenny lipton tells me "most" 35mm SLR lenses will work whit this adapter.Will there be any problems whit focal planes or distorted images? Do you need a colimate for every lens? (I think colimate is the right word)

I think what Lenny means is that most SLR lenses can be adapted to M42 (via an adapter). Assuming you don't already have a lot of 'pentax' screw mount lenses (m42) why don't you get a C Mount to Nikon or Canon or whatever lens system you already have and have one less adapter.

As far as focal planes etc are concerned that is what the adapter is designed to do – i.e. attach the lens so that it works. ;)

Edited by jacob thomas

• 8 years later...

I would like to be aware of which cameras to look for with that feature.

On the other hand, is it possible to rig some s8 bodies to take 16mm lenses?

I would just wait for the new Kodak super 8 camera to come out, which will take c-mount lenses. Just as cheap as most other options, no fuss, no muss, and you'll have a brand new camera to boot. Unless you need it stat for a paid gig, I would wait the 6-7 months and check that out.

Don't forget the outstanding and *NEW* Logmar camera, taking C-Mount lenses.

Also, considering "vintage" equipment, the Fujica ZC1000 is the best of the best. Takes C-Mount lenses, have lots of creative options and a real pressure plate, like professional film cameras.

The only downside is that you have to transfer the super-8 film to Single-8 cartridges, but it's not difficult at all.

I can't say enough good things about Pro8mm's "Classic Pro." It's a refurbished 4008. I have a max 8 modified version and the images it creates are fantastic. I picked up the "Cosmicar" "Pentax" "Ricoh" (this lens goes under all these names) 6mm 1.2 and it's sharp as hell and great in low light!

Best Regards smile.gif

This is an old thread (so irrelevant to the new question that was added to it) but just for the record, the Leicina Special doesn't have a C mount. It has an 'M' mount.

C

Edited by Carl Looper

Does the adapter for the Nalcom FTL 1000 suffer from a large crop factor or is it designed not to?

I can't find any information on how it works or what is does exactly.

The lens adapter has nothing to do with the crop factor. When mounting a lens designed for a larger format to a camera that utilises a smaller format, there will always be a crop factor. The crop factor will be more extreme if you mount a lens that was intended for 35mm format. Nevertheless, the angle of view will be the same if you mount lenses with the same focal length, regardless of what format those lenses were designed for. For example, a 50mm lens for super 8, a 50mm lens for 16mm format and a 50mm lens for 35mm format will all have pretty much the same angle of view when mounted on the Nalcom. Of course I doubt that a 50mm super 8 prime lens ever existed - that previous sentence was just for illustrative purposes. However, if you mounted a super 8 zoom lens to the Nalcom (if such an adapter exists) and set the zoom ring to the 50mm setting, then once again you would get more or less the same angle of view as 50mm lenses that were designed for larger formats.

By the way, I once picked up a Nalcom camera at a camera fair once but haven't seen it in years - no idea what happened to it. I believe there was an underwater lens that was designed for it. That's right - the camera body stays dry above the surface while the physically long water proof lens protrudes into the water. What a neat idea.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

I would just wait for the new Kodak super 8 camera to come out, which will take c-mount lenses. Just as cheap as most other options, no fuss, no muss, and you'll have a brand new camera to boot. Unless you need it stat for a paid gig, I would wait the 6-7 months and check that out.

It may be new when/if it comes to market. It will have no lens or this fixes focus thing which they used to demonstrate at the introduction. The new camera is more or less a film-holder and film-transporter machine. It has very little features so every thing must be adjusted by hand. A hard battle at $25 per minute of film when most barely know how to operate classic exposing mechanisms.

So getting a proven technology machine isn't too bad an idea. You'll have it when you want it and most are feature laden, mostly with classic top lenses :)