1/2 Inch Video Lenses on Super 16mm

Jack Williamson

Hello,

I am looking into getting a 1/2 inch video zoom to test with super 16mm. I have used a lot of "TV Lenses" in c-mount with great results.

The 1/2 inch broadcast zooms look like they would be fun to use. Anyone know if they will cover super 16mm?

I know the 1/2 inch format is measured at 6.4mm by 4.8mm and the super 16mm negative is 12.52mm by 7.41mm but I doubt the video lenses will only cover the 1/2 inch sensor. In my experience video lenses seem to cover more than they are rated to.

I have used the smallest c-mount lenses and to my surprise they always seem to cover super 16mm well beyond the frame.

Anyone have any experience trying the 1/2 inch video lenses? Or event he 2/3 inch? I am positive 1 inch video always covers.

Any thoughts?

Jack

Hello again,

I did some more research and it appears the only lenses that are guaranteed to work through the whole range are 1 inch video lenses everything else, especially 1/2 inch would most likely vignette.

I have one Canon 17-102mm zoom and it covers the super 16mm frame with flying colors. I am guess it is a 1 inch video lens. Great images too, I recommend it if anyone is looking for a zoom on the cheap that is better than an angenieux in my opinion.

Jack

Anyone have any experience trying the 1/2 inch video lenses? Or event he 2/3 inch? I am positive 1 inch video always covers.

The 1/2" frame is 4.8x6.4mm, which is a tad larger than Super8. It won't cover a regular 16mm frame.

2/3" is 6.6x8.8mm, almost the safe action area for regular 16mm. The long ends of some zooms might cover the full frame.

1" is 9.6x12.8mm, larger than S16.

Video lenses tend to be designed to be used with 3 CCD cameras with the optical block. Unless you plan to use the lenses from the B&W CCTV cameras you really need an adapter like the Abakus.

Yeah I have done a lot more reading on the matter. I thank you guys for all your help. I am just going to look into still picture lenses for an alternative to affordable quality lenses. I have all the video lenses for shooting film I need at this point.

Jack