HPX2000 Tips

Matt Workman

I have a shoot coming up with the HPX2000, we got a great deal, would have liked to try the the 3000 but not really in the budget.

Anyway, I've shot with the HVX200 and HPX500. We used my Powerbook G4 to transfer the footage and FCP 5.1 and 6 to edit.

Is there anything I'll need to do to work with the HPX2000 footage? I'm planning on shooting 720 24pN. I assumed it would be identical to the 200/500 but I wasn't sure.

Are there any other quirks or things with the system to look out for?

I have the 16GB P2 driver upgrade already, is there anything else needed?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Matt Workman

You should be good to go. Just make sure that the camera is set to record in DVCPRO HD instead of the new AVC-intra codec (available as an option board on the HPX2000). AVC-i is better, but you will need software upgrades to deal with it in ingest & post. If you record in DVCPRO HD everything should be the same , except now you're shooting on a much better camera than previously!

Hey thanks Mitch,

Is the AVC-i the same as the 3000? Is it going to be 720 or 1080?

If the codec is better than I'm all for it, but I don't want to bone the editor.

Do you know what specifics are needed to deal with it in a FCP environment? Just the latest FCP update or something you have to get from Panasonic?

Thank you for the help.

Matt

From the Apple Website:

Application-Specific Requirements

Final Cut Pro

Capturing HD resolution video using the ProRes 422 format requires a Mac Pro with an Intel Xeon processor or a G5 Quad computer and a qualified third-party capture card.

AVCHD support is only available on Intel based Macs.

DVD-based AVCHD camcorders are not supported in Mac OS X v10.4 or earlier.

From HD for Indies:

FCP 6.0.2

-AVCHD o Intel Macs (1920x1080 interlaced) such as Panasonic HDC-SD3 and HDC-SD5, spanned clips NOW recognized since 6.0.1 didn't properly recognize them

-AVC-Intra support - Log and Transfer window, BUT: must transcode to ProRes, Intel Mac only, no audio playback when limited playback capability (due to too slow of a Mac???), full video preview requires Mac Pro, Panasonic's AVC Intra codec must be installed. So - LOTTA caveats there

Codec

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sup...d.htm#quicktime

---

Sounds like the AVC codec is a pain in the ass, probably going to stick to DVCPROHD.

Edited by Matt Workman

• 3 months later...

Hello,

So the Hpx2000 is very similar to the HPX500?

I'm amazed that there is no difference between the two.

What about the Scene File setting? no differences? no new gamma settings?

thanks,

John Atala