Academy Award Nominations 2008

Max Jacoby

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
I know. What does this guy need to do? Get nominated five times in a year? This pissed me off.

I had a feeling that was gonna happen. It seems that Deakins votes got split. He may have gotten more than Elswit, but for different movies. I thought he actually looked a bit bummed that he didn't win when they read Elswit's name.

The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford by Roger Deakins

Atonement by Seamus McGarvey

The Diving Bell And The Butterfly by Janusz Kaminski

No Country For Old Men by Roger Deakins again

There Will Be Blood by Robert Elswit

And on a sidenote, I am devastated that the amazing Keira Nightley got robbed of a nomination for her very natural performance in 'Atonement'.

I saw There Will Be Blood and it looked like the neg was seriously underexposed. A couple of night scenes were so dark (not always a bad thing) but the whole thing was like 2 stops under on this print. Also, one thing that bothered me was 4 or 5 shots that were clearly out of focus. I was surprised they weren't reshot-- they were really bad. The final scene has that wide shot that plays out over about a minute and a half, and it was out of focus almost the whole shot. I think it may have been a projection problem again tho.

I Really love PTA and Elswit, they have such an immersive and authentic style, but for my two cents worth, No Country should have won the Academy Award. I would probably agree with David that this is mostly because of my personal taste, rather than the actual merit of both films photography.

Diving Bell was always a long shot, but in terms of dynamic and ground breaking work.. it was the years standout-- perhaps a little too distracting (in the sense that in some scenes I found myself watching/thinking about the photography not the story), my only criticism.

I think we can be thankful for a wonderful, rich and diverse year of Cinematography regardless of whether or not you agree with the Award Season's Winners.

Deakins certainly did look somewhat disappointed. As good as it is for two pieces of your work to be recognised and nominated, fairly likely that's going to seriously hurt your chances. perhaps if the cinematographer gets nominated for more than one piece in the future the votes should be tallied for the person's name, rather than the actual movie ;)

It was a bit boring seeing Bourne Ultimatum get most of the tech stuff. As enjoyable as it was, I can't help but think that just because you have cuts every millisecond and the soundscape is constantly filled with guns, explosions and shattering of glass it deserves the title of 'Best'.

Daniel Day Lewis rightly won for his performance I think. Clooney was great in Michael Clayton but Lewis was just phenomenal. And how young does he look!

Bit bummed that Cate Blanchette didn't win for supporting role though...

Alex

Edited by Alex Mizin

Deakins certainly did look somewhat disappointed. As good as it is for two pieces of your work to be recognised and nominated, fairly likely that's going to seriously hurt your chances. perhaps if the cinematographer gets nominated for more than one piece in the future the votes should be tallied for the person's name, rather than the actual movie ;)

It was a bit boring seeing Bourne Ultimatum get most of the tech stuff. As enjoyable as it was, I can't help but think that just because you have cuts every millisecond and the soundscape is constantly filled with guns, explosions and shattering of glass it deserves the title of 'Best'.

Daniel Day Lewis rightly won for his performance I think. Clooney was great in Michael Clayton but Lewis was just phenomenal. And how young does he look!

Bit bummed that Cate Blanchette didn't win for supporting role though...

Alex

Yeah, Bourne Ultimatum seems to have gotten the "default" technical awards this year, for the reasons you stated - flashy, fast, jumpy cuts, lots of explosions and action in terms of sound, etc. Most people are clueless about sound and editing, so they kind they go with a safe bet like Bourne. To me, throwing in some explosions and gunfire and revving motors seems a lot easier than trying to do subtle sound design on a quiet picture like No Country or There Will Be Blood or Elizabeth.

I think it's true Deakins might have split his own vote. It's a tough call between James and No Country!

I am still baffled by all the adoration for Blood's photography. I thought it was good, but there are several pictures I would rank above it. Can anyone explain specifically why this picture won both the ASC and Oscars? What am I missing here?

• Premium Member

Alex

I think Bourne was one of the most complex movies regarding editing and sound, which is one of the reasons it won in those categories. Plus, it was really good, and the editing and sound were very well done. In the same way that a lot of period films win for costume design and cinematography, Bourne won partly because it was the flashiest in those categories. That's my opinion anyway.

Sadly, I think TWBB got its Cinematography Oscar as a consolation prize since TWBB was nominated for best picture and director but got neither. Same way as Juno got best original screenplay - if TWBB had an original screenplay it prob would have won instead of Juno, but it couldn't compare with NCFOM.

Happily, even though I suspect it won for the wrong reasons, if I was worthy I would certainly have voted for TWBB. From hearing Elswit speak it seems that his and PTA's relationship is painfully beautiful, and as a result transcends what either could do alone. For me that collaboration is the height of cinematography.

Deakins was robbed in 2001 when LOTR beat the man who wasn't there, and without any doubt deserves at least one, if not more oscars. I just feel like Elswit had the slight upper hand this year (although I still don't think that's why he won).

Elswitt also won the asc award, so I dont think he won just because paul thomas anderson was not gonna win.

But that being said I was really dissapointed that roger deakins didnt win, Assasination or no country where my first 2 picks.

I really think his 2 nominations cancelled each other out, like he may have had 50 votes for each film but elswitt had 51 for twbb.

I saw There Will Be Blood and it looked like the neg was seriously underexposed. A couple of night scenes were so dark (not always a bad thing) but the whole thing was like 2 stops under on this print. Also, one thing that bothered me was 4 or 5 shots that were clearly out of focus. I was surprised they weren't reshot-- they were really bad. The final scene has that wide shot that plays out over about a minute and a half, and it was out of focus almost the whole shot. I think it may have been a projection problem again tho.

Go see it again at a theatre with better projection.

To me, throwing in some explosions and gunfire and revving motors seems a lot easier than trying to do subtle sound design on a quiet picture like No Country or There Will Be Blood or Elizabeth.

What so impressed me regarding sound in No Country was the use, or rather non-use of music. I don't think there's a single piece in the whole movie until the credits start rolling? Regardless, very minimal amounts. Yet the tension during some scenes in the movie was unbelievable, probably one of the few movies I've been to this year where I was literally on the edge of my seat. Wonderful :)

I like There Will Be Blood's soundtrack the best of any movie I can recall this year, just because it was so strange and fitting for the picture. Of course, it was not even nominated. Same thing with my choice from last year, Clint Mansell's amazing score for The Fountain.

I think I should start betting on Oscars in Vegas next year, and basically just bet on the opposite of what my tastes and instincts tell me. :)

I wonder what kind of odds I can get that both Deakins and Lubezki will get nominated, AND both will lose? Those odds have got to be epic.

Edited by Tom Lowe

I like There Will Be Blood's soundtrack the best of any movie I can recall this year, just because it was so strange and fitting for the picture. Of course, it was not even nominated. Same thing with my choice from last year, Clint Mansell's amazing score for The Fountain.

I think I should start betting on Oscars in Vegas next year, and basically just bet on the opposite of what my tastes and instincts tell me. :)

I wonder what kind of odds I can get that both Deakins and Lubezki will get nominated, AND both will lose? Those odds have got to be epic.

I was wondering why There Will Be Blood's score wasn't nominated so I looked it up and it was apparently not elgible because a lot of the music had been written before the movie by Johnny Greenwood for one of his albums. This also hurt Eddie Vedder from getting nominated for Original Song for Into The Wild.

I am very happy to see Robert Elswit win, but I was sad that Deakins lost too. He had two tremendous works this year, and I didn't see In the Valley of Elah which I am sure was great too. I also think Robert Elswit did great work on Michael Clayton.

Deakins will win soon, he shot Sam Mendes's next film and it has Oscars written all over it for next year. Plus he seems to be a director who really allows his DPs to shine. I predict Deakins will win multiple times before he is through. He is going to keep getting better and he works with the best directors in the business. I predict the Coen Brothers are entering some sort of Coen Golden Age starting with No Country, and he will work with them again after they use Lubezki for Burn after Reading.

Edited by Jon Pivko

I think it one because the members had a bit of a revolt against DI's S35 i hope so anyway ,this was shot anamorphic with a range of old lens looks great traditional photochem process. But i still think Roger should have got it for "No Country "

Yes, members of the academy, technical experts as they all are, tend to get all worked up about this sort of thing. There's protesters outside Warner Bros right now chanting "Down with DI!"

Also they have banners saying "traditional photochem is slightly sharper and the colours are marginally more naturalistic if you don't push them too far, as directors tend to when they have the tools to do secondary colour corrections"

I can see it becoming a catchphrase already.

R.

What so impressed me regarding sound in No Country was the use, or rather non-use of music. I don't think there's a single piece in the whole movie until the credits start rolling? Regardless, very minimal amounts. Yet the tension during some scenes in the movie was unbelievable, probably one of the few movies I've been to this year where I was literally on the edge of my seat. Wonderful :)

Go see it again! I saw it a second time and that time i noticed the very very subtle use of score in certain scenes. It's really subtle but very effective and I think it adds to the tension people feel throughout the film and you don't even notice it the first time around! Brilliant!