Apple Mac vs PC Commercials

Tim Nuttall

• Premium Member

It's often called "white limbo" (as opposed to "black limbo" or just "limbo," where there's no set at all). White limbo is done all the time, and probably a little easier than greenscreen because you don't have to worry so much about shadows, reflections, or matte edges.

Thanks you for the great responses.

So the "white limbo" shot against a cyc wall, correct? What are some good options for lighting such a wall? KinoFlo? SkyPan?

Thanks.

It's often called "white limbo" (as opposed to "black limbo" or just "limbo," where there's no set at all). White limbo is done all the time, and probably a little easier than greenscreen because you don't have to worry so much about shadows, reflections, or matte edges.

Thanks you for the great responses.

So the "white limbo" shot against a cyc wall, correct? What are some good options for lighting such a wall? KinoFlo? SkyPan?

Thanks.

They probably lit the cyc with spacelights hanging from the grid to get an even exposure on the wall, curve and floor.

It looks like they were keyed from the side with a soft but directional source, probably a big light through some diffusion. You can see head shadows on the shoulders. And probably a big bounce for fil.

At least, thats how I've lit a few corporate video 'mac vs pc' spoofs i've worked on *groan*.

They've also probably done a lot of post work to make the white perfectly even (if it is indeed a cyc wall) and get ride of multiple shadows on the floor.

The only real shadows appear directly behind and under them, which initially made me think of a huge soft bounce over the camera (10x20 or something), but the lighting on the talent doesn't indicate that.