First Resume (Rough copy)

Jeremy Drake

I just graduated from college and am looking to freelance as a camera op or do something related. Eventually I'd like to DP film but I've got a long way to go.

Anyway if anybody out there could give me some thoughts on this rough resume I'd appreciate it.

Side question:

Once my resume is ready to go what are some good websites or companies to send it to?

JEREMYD_FILM_RESUME.pdf

I find it interesting that your degree was a Bachelor of Science. Here film / video is always part of the Humanities department.

I would also add referees and contact details. On my resume I also have the production company name for any films that had one, as well as the type of film, e.g "Feature Comedy," "Short Drama" etc.

I find it interesting that your degree was a Bachelor of Science. Here film / video is always part of the Humanities department.

I would also add referees and contact details. On my resume I also have the production company name for any films that had one, as well as the type of film, e.g "Feature Comedy," "Short Drama" etc.

It is weird. I could've gotten a Bachelor of Art if I'd taken a foreign language or a Bachelor of Science if I'd taken an advanced math or science course. Financial aid/availability of class forced me to go with the Science. Is it a bad thing?

Whenever I do my resume I always think this "If someone picked up my resume off of someone elses desk could they tell who I am and what I do??" If I picked up your resume there's no way I could tell what you wanted to do. You've done everything from grip and electric to directing. When people hire you they need to think that they're hiring the best at any given skill. If you have 10 different job skills then it looks like you're not really focused on anything. If this is going to be your camera operating resume then put your education and only camera operating jobs. I'd be careful about putting DP jobs on there. Whenever I DP things I won't hire anyone that's trying to move up to the DP position. I've tried this before and have nothing but problems. They always start getting into lighting discussions and other things that they shouldn't be worried about being a camera operator. Now a camera operator has to worry about lighting when it concerns flares or unflatering light on the actors. Being an operator you should call something to the DP's attention and if he says that it's fine then you've done your job. I don't know if this helps or not but I hope it does.

Jon Myers

I wouldn't expect to get any paid work with that resume but it should atleast get you on something as a camera or grip intern which could lead to paid work. Once you have enough credits in a particular department you can get rid of all the fluff in your current resume and make one that could possibly get you paid work. Even for someone with a lot of experience a resume isn't likely to get you much work on its own. It is all about who you know.

~Jess