Looking for help on buying wireless XLR setup with Phantom Power.

Kyle Fasanella

Hey guys,

I am looking for a wireless setup to replace an XLR cable that goes from my Sony Z1U to mic w/ boom pole. I am steadicam operator and cannot have wires attached at all. This transmitter needs phantom power. It be perfect if it had a headphone jack. The boom operator needs to be able to monitor the sound and transmit to the Z1U. I am looking to spend as little as possible without losing too much. What specific equipment should I be looking at? What else should I be looking for in a wireless setup? What?s a good place to buy this equipment? EBay?

This transmitter needs phantom power. It be perfect if it had a headphone jack.

I don't know any plug-in system that has headphone out on the transmitter. An extra mixer or preamp would give you a headphone jack and the soundguy could control the sound, but that costs extra. The cheap solution would be splitting the XLR and plug a cheap mic to headphone preamp parallel to the transmitter.

An experienced Boomoperator might work without headphones. Anyway, if he can't control the sound, all he has to do is pointing in the right direction.

Or simply use a fieldrecorder, if you don't mind using a clapboard and syncing the stuff afterwards. This would give you the better soundquality, the soundguy could control and hear his sound. Usable recorders are cheaper than usable wireless systems.

I am looking to spend as little as possible without losing too much. What specific equipment should I be looking at?

Normally you get what you pay for, there are no miracles.

In ENG Sennheiser is a standard around here, not cheap but affordable. They have a wireless plug-in system with phantom power.

The Samson UHF Airline Series is maybe the cheapest but not good. For recording the quality is to poor. Don't know if the Samson Series One is any better, never used it. Don't know if they come with phantom.

There are plenty of other brands and systems, I'd google for some reviews. Best thing is to test it by your own.

check this shop: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/9452/Pl....0/mxp/0.0/pn/1

there should be several other web-shops, this is the only one I know in the US.

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

• 2 weeks later...