RED lenses

Hi,

Too expensive were told <_<

Stephen

Stephen, wouldn't you agree that it's quite odd to offer a very good professional camera for a very competitive price and then sell lenses, specifically designed for the same camera, without witness marks?

I don't know many professional ACs that'd be happy to work with such a lens...

just my 2?c

Kinda pisses me off to high heaven.

Hopefully whenever I get to work with the camera, production will invest in renting the new Cooke RED set :)

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
Stephen, wouldn't you agree that it's quite odd to offer a very good professional camera for a very competitive price and then sell lenses, specifically designed for the same camera, without witness marks?

just my 2?c

Hi Francesco,

From what I have seen with professional motion picture lenses, you get what you pay for. I think the lenses may be aimed at people upgrading from an HVX, rather than people who have previously shot with film.

I hope to be proved wrong with the Red primes, has anybody seen any photos?

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hopefully whenever I get to work with the camera, production will invest in renting the new Cooke RED set :)

Personally I love the new Cooke ad 'Cooke joins the Rebellion' for their Red Cooke lenses. I just think they should add: 'After you spend 17K on a camera, spend another 100K on our lenses!'

• Premium Member
Personally I love the new Cooke ad 'Cooke joins the Rebellion' for their Red Cooke lenses. I just think they should add: 'After you spend 17K on a camera, spend another 100K on our lenses!'

Hi Max,

Thats only for a rather small set, but at least they have witness marks :lol:

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I know this will sound like a stupid question, but what are witness marks?

Thanks.

The little lines next to the distance markings engraved into the lens barrel. They give you a good bit of accuracy as opposed to aligning a line with a number.

Cookes are great, but for $97,000 all you get is $1200 off and a little bit of red ink. Rebel my ass. I love the lenses, but I can't listen to people talk about the "cooke redbellion" when there's nothing to it except that red ink.

I read somewhere (probably from a redhead) that the cookes were S4s modified to focus the image on the chips plane, rather than a few micrometers back, 2/3 between the first and last layer of film emulsion like most lenses are set to give the sharpest image possible....and I believed them.

Cooke mentions nothing about them. Its marketing. Buy our lenses, the red markings will make you look cool! I was trying to swing a production over to renting the cooke red lenses, and now, I think i will just test a few lenses out and see what fits. Cooke will be tested, but I am viamently apposed to renting a set of cooke reds...I am not that big of a consumer whore yet....yet.

witness marks like Tstops seem to costly to put into a cheap lens. We can't fault them, I suppose, it gives options to those who wouldn't know the difference, economics drives products. The more I look at red, the more I think they did a bang up job on the camera....and sort of dropped the ball in accessory build quality and lens quality. No mater, there are 3d party solutions for both. at least the cameras good.

Hello All.

I have AC on 2 features using the RED here in LA both with the RED zooms' & a standard speed Zeiss 135 and must say the first time I was not to impressed, with the camera. The second time was much better, however I did notice that the lenses were getting dust inside the front glass element. I have seen this problem before in DSLR lenses because of dust gathering while being zoomed out and brought back in, a defect and simple fix by the factory. I was wondering if any one else has had this problem with the RED zooms'?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
I read somewhere (probably from a redhead) that the cookes were S4s modified to focus the image on the chips plane, rather than a few micrometers back, 2/3 between the first and last layer of film emulsion like most lenses are set to give the sharpest image possible....and I believed them.

Hi,

The reason most Arri cameras have a FFD of about 51.98 is for that reason. The FFD needs to be correct on cameras I don't think playing with lenses to fix an error would be the way it's done..

Stephen

• Premium Member

In regards to prime lenses, best have a look at the new Elite 35mm lenses. They are only 4500 Euros each and I think they are a much better option than the Red primes. The Elites are a bit more expensive, but I feel that investment is definitely worth it, since at T1.3 they are full stop faster than Red's offering and also come with T Stops and witness marks.

Cookes are great, but for $97,000 all you get is $1200 off and a little bit of red ink. Rebel my ass. I love the lenses, but I can't listen to people talk about the "cooke redbellion" when there's nothing to it except that red ink.

I have a bad habit of writing fuzzy information lately, so please excuse me...

However the Cooke Red lenses aren't just normal S4's painted red but they have some built in electronics that allows them to communicate with the camera. I'm not sure what data they actually send or why but there we are.

Also the RED thing is a bit of a misdescription because they conform to some sort of standard for electronic communication of lenses which as far as I know is a real standard and not something just made up by red.

I wish I could tell you more but I wasn't paying enough attention because I tend to not have a great interest in super high resolution video cameras. I'm more into the other extreme in fact and I only know this stuff as I was drawn in by the word cooke! ;)

Really sorry it's so fuzzy but I hope my posting will help people find more specific and clearer stuff.

One of the things I really like about the red is that you can stick cooke S4's on it.

That seems nice.

However for me the red rebellion would be a Konvas or something! ;)

love

Freya

• Premium Member
However the Cooke Red lenses aren't just normal S4's painted red but they have some built in electronics that allows them to communicate with the camera. I'm not sure what data they actually send or why but there we are.

You are referring to the i technology, which allows to record the lens info (stop, distance, focal length) during the shot. This is not exclusive to the Red Cooke set, but ALL Cooke lenses have it.

You are referring to the i technology, which allows to record the lens info (stop, distance, focal length) during the shot. This is not exclusive to the Red Cooke set, but ALL Cooke lenses have it.

*giggle* I have a feeling that is exactly what I'm reffering to, I seem to remeber the system had a name with 4 letters tho but I could be wrong I wasn't really that intrested. Cooke seem to be insinuating this was some special thing for communicating with the red, but I was already skeptical as it appeared to be an established standard and not just something made for the red.

I guess they really are just S4's painted red. I don't even believe they are any optically different as the red is a single chip camera anyway so theres no need for any special optics. Somewhat dodgy marketing there then which is sad as cooke have such a good name.

I'm curious, do you have to pay extra for the red paint?

I really hope no serious cinematographer will be seen with the red cookes, that way they could have a file sale and I could take a trip to leicester! ;)

On a more serious note can you tell me a bit more about the i technology?

Can it communicate with film camras or is it only a video technology? Just curious obviously I will never get to play with S4's in real life.

love

Freya