24P and 24PA modes + matrix

J Costantini

Hi.

Can you guys explain to me the differences between the 24P mode and the 24PA (advanced) mode on the AG-DVX100 camera, please?

When to use one and when to use the other one?

I have an idea of what the cine-like gamma does with the "characteristic curve" and I´ve also seen some graphics about this issue. (you can comment about this feature anyway, and please do!)

But what exactly the CINE-LIKE MATRIX does to my image?

Every advice or tip is welcome.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

24P Advanced uses a non-standard pulldown to convert 24P to 60i for recording. It looks a little more obvious (judder artifacts) but it is designed to be easier to remove the pulldown when importing the footage into a 24 fps editing system like FCP. So it's really meant to be used when you plan on editing the material as 24P rather than 60i.

The camera always records to 60i.

Cine-Like Color basically just boosts some of the chroma particulaly the reds -- for some reason, someone at Panasonic thinks that film has stronger reds than video. Some people refer to a warmer look as a "Sony" look.

• Premium Member

You want to edit the material in a 24 fps environment. You can remove the pulldown from either 24P or 24PA using software (sometimes called a "reverse telecine" function); it's just easier and faster if you shoot in 24PA and use software that supports it, like FCP.

Remember, the camera always records 60i, not 24P.

If you just started editing the material together without removing the pulldown, your 3:2 pulldown cadence becomes uneven and very difficult to remove later.

i have some material that was digitized under regular video configurations and suffered no pulldown removal.

will it help if I redigitize the exact same clips after the editing is over (just batching again - using the same timecodes and in and out marks) but this time with correct 24P pulldown configurations?