Are 200ft Super 8Rolls gone forever???

Tony Bullock

I own an Elmo 1012XL that accepts the Kodak 200 ft. Super 8 cartridges. I loved this setup, sorry that it is gone. I am interested in purchasing a blank cartridge, if anyone has one or two to sell.

For quite some time a resilient seller was offering these at $200 on eBay :)

I have a number of these 200ft cartridges. Good for showpiece or experimental works with the Kodachrome/Ektachrome film or the cartridge.

These things be modified to be refilled. The problem is the price of film and the labour which needs to go in :(

PM-ed you too.

• 3 weeks later...

The original KODAK 200ft cartridge is a nightmare to reload! It uses a cheap plastic sprocket drive which advances the and takes up the film, and has a somewhat complex and total pain-in-the-neck would spring (which helps feed the supply reel's rotation, as well as 'balance' the internal load so the film can be backwound for special effects. The discontinued Ritter-Beaulieu Super Drive 60mm (200ft) magazine is a superior design, all metal, well made, but can be a bit finnicky to use. The cameras must also be modified (except for the last version of the BEAULIEU 7008S/Pro and 9008S/Pro which had the option available). The Super Drive Magazine is a reworked Beaulieu R16 60m(200ft) Magazine that is reversed from how it is used on the R16, since Super 8mm film is loaded on the opposite side from the 16mm counterpart. There was one for sale on eBay a few months back, which had been gone thru by Ritter in Germany (yes, while the former shop is gone, they still exist in Mannheim and do servicing) and had a 90 day warranty with it. I don't think it sold, it came with the 7008S camera as well, which also had been serviced.

A man in Arizona spent considerable time and money making a 400ft Magazine, and with wonderful intentions but it was problamatic in use at times. It was made to work with an unmodified camera that could use the former KODAK 200ft Cartridges. Unlike the Super Drive, it does not have a sprocket drive which is run off the film take up gear in the camera, so tension issues were a concern. Not sure how many he made, but the he ended ceasing making these. I own one, so I know.

MINOLTA had a modification of their fine D-12 camera which used a 200ft Magazine, and these are quite rare, but I saw one show up on eBay about two years ago. The exact name of the Magazine eludes my memory at this moment.

Lastly, KODAK did make a B&W polyester based filmstock which was 100ft long in the standard Super 8mm 50ft cartridge. So, having a 100ft load in that small cartridge using a polyester based filmstock could work. I had thought of reloading that AGFA 200D, but its availability is waning now since AGFA ceased manufacturing the rawstock from which the Super 8mm filmstock in bulk was made.

• 1 year later...

Looking for a blank (or unused or partially exposed film) 200ft cartridge for a reasonable price, but I am negotiable! I'm working on a project for my high school for my sister in marching band, and I'm looking to need about a 10min option for recording onto super 8. I've tried to do this last year with 4 standard carts, but it took too long to change out the carts and I lost some footage I needed by doing so. I have some kodak vision 3 in a 200ft film can on a core(light sealed), but I need a cartridge that I can make into a re loadable one! Anyone got one they are willing to part with?

• Premium Member

I have a pretty rare 800' magazine for the SR3 but I'll never get 800' loads from Kodak unless I was doing a big feature and buying $50k worth of film. They were often used on concert and event coverage where longer shooting times were helpful. (like on Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live).

I'm sure Kodak would make 200' loads of Super 8 for you if you bought enough...but it would have to be quite a bit.

• Premium Member

I've got it...we start a news network like CNN but shoot everything on Super 8. Everything would be delayed a day or two for processing and transfer but it would look cool. We could go through those 200' loads pretty fast...

Nah, we just get ourselves a Supermatic processor and do it ourselves. It's going on sale in 1975!

Crystal-sync Nizos, reel-to-reel Uhers running Super-8 perfed mag film.... we've got it made.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

With reference to the Double-8mm thread at the time I should suggest to look into that format. You have the Fairchild Cinephonic cameras that take 50-ft. rolls, the French GIC 8 accepts 50 feet, too. 2 minutes 46 seconds at speed 24. Paillard-Bolex H-8 cameras accomodate 100-ft. rolls, so 8,000 frames for a take of 5 minutes 33 seconds. 400-ft. magazines were adapted to H cameras and still can be. An H-8 with mag. would offer 22 minutes 13 seconds running time at 24 fps. Half-thick film like Gigabit film 40 (not available since years) would double that to 44 minutes 26 seconds. Crazy enough

• 5 weeks later...

I was always a fan of DS8 myself. I have the Elmo tri-filmatic . But as everyone has already mentioned: finding the film is almost non existent. I have but one last roll of Ektachrome and I don't suppose anyone is going to cut down anymore stock even with new Ektachrome around the corner.