Aaton Serial Numbers

Stiv Brown

Hi I'm starting to research different Aaton's for a potential future camera purchase. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to check the serials to get some history of the camera or if that's even how it works.

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hi I'm starting to research different Aaton's for a potential future camera purchase. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to check the serials to get some history of the camera or if that's even how it works.

Thanks

Hi,

An Aaton dealer, Ablecine if your in the states.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Nathan Milford posted this a few years ago when he was working for AbelCineTech:

1974 to 1982 - Aaton LTR (#250 to #950)

- Most bodes were 16mm only

- 32fps Top Speed

- Mechanical Drive for Mags

- Optional Light Meter

- Optional Relay optics for VR 30 tube tap.

1982 to 1985 - Aaton 54LTR (#950 to #1300)

- 54fps Top Speed

- Super 16

- Optional Light Meter

- Optional Relay optics for VR 30 tube tap.

1986 to 1992 - Aaton XTR (#1300 to #1785)

- 54fps Top Speed

- Magnetic Drive

- Super 16

- Light Meter

- Relay Optics for VR30 Tub Tap

1992 to 1994 - Aaton X0plus (#1785 to #1900)

- 60fps Top Speed

- Magentic Drive

- Super 16

- Screw-in 15mm front rods

- Designed to be upgraded to the XTRplus

- Optional port for integrated CCD video tap

1992 to 1994 - Aaton XTRplus (#1785 to #1900)

- 60fps Top Speed

- Magentic Drive

- Super 16

- Light Meter

- Integrated CCD video tap

- Aaton Code

- LCD Side Display

1994 to present - Aaton X0plus (#1900 and above)

- 75fps Top Speed (Tri-Phase Motor)

- Magenetic Drive

- Super 16

- Lower power consumption

- Upgradable to XTRplus

1994 to present - Aaton XTRplus (#1900 and above)

- Magenetic Drive

- Super 16

- Light Meter

- AatonCode

- Side Display

1994 to present - Aaton XTRprod (#1900 and above)

- Magenetic Drive

- Super 16

- Light Meter

- AatonCode

- Illuminated Side Display

- Built in speed control in .001fps increments

- Variable shutter

These are sort of rough as there are grey areas where upgrades have been performed where you have amalgamations such as the XC, LTR-X, XTR-j and what not.

I had camera #962 for a few years and it fell right between the LTR7 and the LTR54. Even though it technically was the newer one, it still had the 32 fps motor, but all the electronics from the LTR54.

Best,

-Tim

• 1 year later...

Thanks for re-posting this list! It's very helpful. I'm having trouble right now determining the specific type of Aaton that my college has, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

1992 to 1994 - Aaton XTRplus (#1785 to #1900)

- 60fps Top Speed

- Magentic Drive

- Super 16

- Light Meter

- Aaton Code

- LCD Side Display

1994 to present - Aaton X0plus (#1900 and above)

- Magenetic Drive

- Super 16

- Upgradable to XTRplus

1994 to present - Aaton XTRplus (#1900 and above)

- Magenetic Drive

- Super 16

- Light Meter

- AatonCode

- Side Display

My school has two 16mm Aatons. I checked for the model numbers on the sides of the cameras and I believe we have a #1958, and a #1841. I'm most interested in the 1958 camera, and whether or not it is an XTRPlus or an X0Plus. Asking the film equipment manager at my school isn't going to help as she already told me she doesn't know. The 1958 at my school has a top speed of 75fps, a side display, and I've been told that it records AatonCode. So I think I can consider it the 1994 to present, Aaton XTRplus model.

My question is, whats the difference between an "integrated CCD video tap," and the "optional port for the integrated tap?"

I attached an image of the camera body.

post-31904-1238442675.jpeg

This looks to be the port for the video tap on this #1958 camera. Does this version of the XTRplus already have video capabilities built in, and all it needs is the tap attachment? Or is there something else that the camera needs?

Would something like the Aaton VR42 B/W video assist fit with this port?

Thanks,

Sean

• 1 month later...

Hmm,

dont know if anyone can help here, im looking at an xtr plus on ebay and the guy says its serial C1764, but from the info above that suggests it is just a regular xtr???? can anyone help, i dont want to suggest to him its not the plus model if i am just being retarded and not understanding the info correctly on here.

(i am planning on buying the camera not just out to cause trouble on ebay)

thanks

• Premium Member
Thanks for re-posting this list! It's very helpful. I'm having trouble right now determining the specific type of Aaton that my college has, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

My school has two 16mm Aatons. I checked for the model numbers on the sides of the cameras and I believe we have a #1958, and a #1841. I'm most interested in the 1958 camera, and whether or not it is an XTRPlus or an X0Plus. Asking the film equipment manager at my school isn't going to help as she already told me she doesn't know. The 1958 at my school has a top speed of 75fps, a side display, and I've been told that it records AatonCode. So I think I can consider it the 1994 to present, Aaton XTRplus model.

My question is, whats the difference between an "integrated CCD video tap," and the "optional port for the integrated tap?"

This looks to be the port for the video tap on this #1958 camera. Does this version of the XTRplus already have video capabilities built in, and all it needs is the tap attachment? Or is there something else that the camera needs?

Thanks,

Sean

HI Sean.

The main difference between the two cameras is the option of Aatoncode. It's very easy to tell if your camera has (the very excellent) aatoncode.

Power it up, put into test and then look at the back of the gate. You'll see 7 very tiny LED's flashing just near the gate if it can do aatoncode.

Looking at your image, this camera could have the integrated split optics fittend but does not ACTUALLY have them fitted. First the panel with the 9pin plug has a blank below it. This is where the VR42 electronics would go *IF* you had the actual split fitted. It essentially plugs into the 9 pin (for power) and then there's another multiplin plug with the comms for the actual camera where the blank is right now.

Just to the right of the off switch there is a largish disk which we are presently looking at the side of. If the split was fitted there would be a bulge here instead and little lever for adjusting the iris on the split. This is the *port* for the tap. This is where the camera itself resides if it's fitted.

jb

• 8 months later...

I attached an image of the camera body.

post-31904-1238442675.jpeg

Thanks,

Sean

Hey Sean,

I realize that it was a while ago that you posted this, and I was wondering if you ever came to an answer. I believe Jenn Pipp should know for certain which models Emerson's Aatons are, but there are a few wrenches that can be thrown into your assessment:

Neither of these two cameras have variable shutters. This could either mean they aren't the models you've deduced (unlikely), or that Emerson had them both modified because they're afraid of their students actually using a camera to it's full potential, which is far more likely considering that neither of them have video taps (definitely a modification), and they're both "permanently" set to regular 16mm (you and I know how permanent that was).

I'd love to know if you've come up with anything else.

~Seamus