Getting a certain look on XDCAM

Hi Everyone

I am about starting a documentary for German TV on Russian immigrants. On certain scenes I am trying to get a look that will associate with film material that was shot in them sixties and seventies in the USSR on (maybe..)B&W film and colour and was smuggled to the west.Apart from an "amateur like" operating I would like it to be grainy and to have "wrong" colours like material I watched lately from those days.Now' I know I can do a lot in the post prod. and I may also have the Da Vinci for colour correction, but does any of you guys have an idea what I can do while filming? I am testing now some looks and am open to your ideas .

Thanks

Michael Shubitz DP

Israel

• Premium Member

My suggestion is to do it in post. You may find a happy medium for a look but it might not work well for all shooting situations so best to know what you want and then shoot with as much latitude as possible then use post to narrow in what you want to end up with. At least in my experience I found that to work beter than finding out later that crushing blacks or shifting colros didnt translate properly when I wen to edit the stuff and it was harder to fix.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Walter.

You may want to do some of the work in compositing. I've done some pretty successful grain addition using scanned film, black frames, or grey frames of film that can be added in compositing to emulate a look. If you have some of the material you are trying to match to, you may want to give some of the footage to your post people to see if they can use any of it to generate the "destruction" look to the material.

Final color may be best dealt with in color timing. Depends on the severity of the look I suppose.

How are you finding the XDCAM by the way?

Although my PDW 530 does not get to the Digibeta quality I am used to I managed to get it set up and for many purposes it is ideal. I love it and soon I will change to XDCAM HD.

• Premium Member
Although my PDW 530 does not get to the Digibeta quality I am used to I managed to get it set up and for many purposes it is ideal. I love it and soon I will change to XDCAM HD.

Let us know how you like that change. The 1/2" chip optics and lowered sensitivity should be a different experience from what you're used to with the SD model.