Question about reels

Hey guys, I'm still in school but I've been doing plenty of decent film and video projects to put together for a reel. I've done weddings, short narratives, documentaries, and industrial pieces. My question is should I compile all of these different genres together on one or make separate reels for each or just the narratives. Also in terms of music, is a song with words to distracting? Are there any styles of music that are better for reels that you could reccomend?

Thank you for your input

Chris

Hey Chris,

I would definitely separate the types of footage into different reels. For your film reel or narrative reel, I'd only include stuff that feels "filmic". This can include stuff shot in any format, and can include stuff from music videos, commercials, etc. - but it should all feel "filmic". I would then cut a reel for your industrials, and then a reel for docs. Hope this helps.

Regarding the song, I'd find something that you like, and that you feel personifies or represents you and your work in some way (with or without lyrics).

Cheers,

Hey Chris,

I would definitely separate the types of footage into different reels. For your film reel or narrative reel, I'd only include stuff that feels "filmic". This can include stuff shot in any format, and can include stuff from music videos, commercials, etc. - but it should all feel "filmic". I would then cut a reel for your industrials, and then a reel for docs. Hope this helps.

Regarding the song, I'd find something that you like, and that you feel personifies or represents you and your work in some way (with or without lyrics).

Cheers,

Thanks Marc... I agree with the separation. I was cutting them together recently and it just felt odd to have dolly and crane shots to cut to talking heads. The "filmic" feel should help me decide what stays and goes.

Chris