Astronaut Farmer

• 2 years later...

Hey David,

Great work on Astronaut Farmer, it really shone through. I had two questions, however amateurish they may be:

How did you get the beams/shafts of light? Was it through diffusion? (i.e. "fog machine") or were the lights bright enough that you could capture them on film?

Also, I wanted to ask you and the ASC panel at this years Cinegear expo, but didn't have the time to ask:

Why are you so good at what you do?

Thank you David.

Regards, Shaan

• Premium Member

You need particulate matter of some sort to see a beam of light, whether dust, smoke, whatever. We used a fog machine.

I learned basically by studying what I liked and learning to repeat it and expand upon the experience for the next time. It's always a mix of reflection, experimentation, practical experience, and learning from others, but it helps to have a basic visual sensibility, though that goes back to childhood for me. But the trick is to always keep trying to become better at what you do, become the eternal student.

• 1 month later...

I find it very cool such an accomplished artist as Mr. Mullen would have the personal humility to ask for critique. I have seen most of his work and hope top get the chance to work with him at some point in the future. In my opinion he is one of the finest and most artistic cinematographers currently working in the industry today. From Northfolk to Jennifer's Body he has created some of the most beautiful images I've ever seen. I HONESTLY believe he is one big movie away from becoming cinematography royalty. I just hope I get the chance to work with him before he becomes so celebrated, I can't afford him!! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Brilliant stuff. Not to be a bitch, but...

why is it that an accomplished cinematographer gets the second most replied post in the "Critique my Work" section than up and comers? C'mon guys.

Regardless, I really wasn't excited about this film until I saw the trailers. It looks gorgeous, and more importantly, stands up still. Really, brilliant stuff.