Music Video

Jaime Toruno

Hi every one, I'd directed short films but never a music video, What is the best way to direct a shoot for a music video, what is the best way to shoot it, :unsure: should I shoot the band playing the song over and over in different sets? I need some ideas please...lol :blink:

Hi every one, I'd directed short films but never a music video, What is the best way to direct a shoot for a music video, what is the best way to shoot it, :unsure: should I shoot the band playing the song over and over in different sets? I need some ideas please...lol :blink:

Hello there

yeah it depens on what you'd like to get... I mean normally you would kinda make a storyboard or a couple of thought on what exactly you would like to get, I mean of course you can film everything like 20 times just changing the setup, but normaly if they aren't real actors after like 5-6 setups they won't do it anymore... ;D

I think the best thing would be for you to know exactly what you would like to get---> for example on the refrain a CU and so on... so you can go and shoot just that that you'll ready need instead of shooting everything 10 times...

thats how I do it...

have fun shooting

I think "Coverage" is the Key word. In my experience most of the videos I shoot we cover the band a million times from a million different angles, and if were shooting video, we cover it a million times more. Then again its whatever you going for.

marc

grab the lyrics, read them while listening to the song get into the song and imagine what's the best way to showcase the song, if it's hard rock you can go crazy, if it's a soft song go with the story, if it's country it's a bit easier, you can just go and have your little short film with the song.

You have to remember that Music Videos are exposure for the band / singer, so you have to show them from time to time, maybe they can be the actors, or just a background band playing at someone's prom or sweet 16, or county party, specially for first time music videos since what they want it's for people to recognize them and get exposure.

Other thing is to watch as many music videos as you can, from the same genre, or combine genres, something bizarre might come out and it could be a fantastic music video.

Best of luck my friend, have fun with your music video.

Edited by Marcos Sanz

• 3 months later...

If you're going for a standard music video, yes you want to have atleast 4-6 takes of the band doing the song with different scenes, costumes, moods, etc. But if you're going for more of a narrative, you'll probably only want one take of the song and intercut it with an actual story that is derrived from the lyrics of the song. Lastly, if it is a complete narrative then you don't want any of the band in it (unless they're acting).

I'm doing a project where I'm making three music videos for the band Mudvayne (by myself, no link to the actual band) and all of the videos are complete narratives and I just took the main theme for the songs and created my own story for it and am developing that into the music videos.

thank you guys, I'll keep in mind. I'm still not sure when we start shooting, but I guess within a couple of weeks so I need to come up with main idea for the video.

My biggest advice for the "idea" phase of the music video is this:

"Don't be literal."

My second-biggest advice is:

"Stick to the music."

In other words, a music video that simply acts out the lyrics will just be boring. But a music video that has nothing to do with the song will leave people scratching their heads.

They key things to do are to listen to the music and get a sense for its mood.

Then read the lyrics and get a sense for what the song is about (in both the literal and the abstract sense).

If the mood is "oppressive" and the song is about love, then a dark romantic fairy tale may be in order. If the mood is "chipper" and the song tells the story of a hooker who overdoses and dies, then something emphasizing the energy and charisma of the band will serve you better than a dramatization of the dying hooker. (Yes, these are both real examples.)

Then, as folks above noted, do some storyboards, come up with concepts for your various locations (generally 3-5 for a typical music video), and shoot lots of coverage.

• 3 months later...

well before you start thinking about production definitely consult the artist who created the original music for the music video that you wish to direct. Find out what they were thinking or going through when they wrote the song also read the script. Find parallels. Think of ways to represent different sections of the song. For example the artists were sing about walking on the beach and crying, then the next line they would be singing about their past at home. The lyrics should always serve as a template for the music video. Also find out what you are trying to do for the music video. Like are you promoting a particular artist / Singer or are you just trying to make the video really stand out. Remember that music videos serve predominantly as a medium to promote the artist work. also is good to keep repetition. Keep coming back to some location you shot before. I would highly suggest looking for inspiration start watching music videos that's the number one thing that will help you. Watch music videos especially ones that match the type of music you are directing. Also look at references of art and movies that may help you find inspiration. Do your homework and make sure that the original music artists intent is met.

trip...

• 2 weeks later...