Angenieux 12.5-75mm T2.5 cover Super 16??

Rob Sanders

I was wondering if any DP out there, pro or beginner, have used this unusual French lens for an Arri S or Arri SR and if it will fully or partially cover Super 16? I have heard it does but nobody seems know for sure and some motion picture dealers have never even heard about this lens. How is the zoom quality, speed and resolution of this lens?

These other unusual Angenieux mini zooms will definitely cover Super 16: anybody use either the Angenieux 17.5-70mm T2.2 or the 16-44mm T1.3 for S16? Thanks!

I was wondering if any DP out there, pro or beginner, have used this unusual French lens for an Arri S or Arri SR and if it will fully or partially cover Super 16? I have heard it does but nobody seems know for sure and some motion picture dealers have never even heard about this lens. How is the zoom quality, speed and resolution of this lens?

These other unusual Angenieux mini zooms will definitely cover Super 16: anybody use either the Angenieux 17.5-70mm T2.2 or the 16-44mm T1.3 for S16? Thanks!

I bought an 17.5-70mm for my LTR, it's a nice little lens, I took it to Claimont to get it projected and it has nice contrast and resolution, we were surprised as to how little flare it had as well, most of those lenses were never used eventhough they are like 20 years old, they were built for 16mm eyemos, someone bought a load of them and then modify them with a PL mount. It has some breathing as you focus but it does the job.

Francisco

I bought an 17.5-70mm for my LTR, it's a nice little lens, I took it to Claimont to get it projected and it has nice contrast and resolution, we were surprised as to how little flare it had as well, most of those lenses were never used eventhough they are like 20 years old, they were built for 16mm eyemos, someone bought a load of them and then modify them with a PL mount. It has some breathing as you focus but it does the job.

Francisco

Thanks Francisco - I took a look at your website by the way - great portfoilo! You are indeed an artist! I totally agree with you on the Angenieux 17.5-70mm about it being a nice lens because I have owned one of these lenses myself - not for the Aaton but the Arri. It's a wonderful low budget compact Super 16mm zoom by Angenieux. These zooms are light too and great for run & gun shooting styles.

Here is another mysterious low budget Super 16mm zoom lens from Angenieux : the rare Angenieux 11-66mm T2.6 lens. Not a single DP or motion picture dealer I have talked to knows anything about it or has even seen it for that matter. Doesn't seem like too bad a lens especially if it covers S16 at 11mm without any vignette. The only info I have found is a brief mention in the Arri 16 SR III instuction manual under the optics chapter. It's definitely compatible with the Arri 16 SR III and covers S16. If it does exist my guess is that only a handful were made. Any DP's out there know anything about this lens? If you know about and could post a photo for everyone here that would be great! B)

Edited by Rob Sanders

• Premium Member

I bought a 17.5-70 from Whitehouse and it's great, covers super16 all the way through on my LTR. It's not much bigger than a prime so I just keep it in the same Pelican as if it's part of the kit. The thing was literally brand new when I received it from WhitehouseAV. I also purchased the 12, 16 and 25 Kowa superspeeds from Whitehouse and according to them, they have the same type of coating that the zoom has, thus color should match fairly well. I havn't gotten the chance to shoot with the primes yet, but hopefully next week I'll do some comparisons.

I bought a 17.5-70 from Whitehouse and it's great, covers super16 all the way through on my LTR. It's not much bigger than a prime so I just keep it in the same Pelican as if it's part of the kit. The thing was literally brand new when I received it from WhitehouseAV. I also purchased the 12, 16 and 25 Kowa superspeeds from Whitehouse and according to them, they have the same type of coating that the zoom has, thus color should match fairly well. I havn't gotten the chance to shoot with the primes yet, but hopefully next week I'll do some comparisons.

how much the primes go for Adam?

Francisco

• 9 months later...