Which deck for capturing 24p footage?

Steve Nayhi

Hey guys,

Topic title is pretty self-explanatory... I have three HDV tapes of footage I shot in 24p on an HVX. However, I no longer have access to the HVX I was using. Wondering what my options are for playback/capturing the 24p format onto my FCP system.

Edited by Steven Nayhi

• Premium Member
Hey guys,

Topic title is pretty self-explanatory... I have three HDV tapes of footage I shot in 24p on an HVX. However, I no longer have access to the HVX I was using. Wondering what my options are for playback/capturing the 24p format onto my FCP system.

Well this is a preety simple answer but see if you can borrow one or you can rent one for a day from individuals or rental houses. Other than that...

• Premium Member

I assume you meant that you shot miniDV 24p with the HVX, not HDV (which the HVX doesn't support). If so, then you can play the miniDV tape back on pretty much any miniDV camera...or even DVCAM deck or DVCPRO deck...and just capture via firewire.

J

I assume you meant that you shot miniDV 24p with the HVX, not HDV (which the HVX doesn't support). If so, then you can play the miniDV tape back on pretty much any miniDV camera...or even DVCAM deck or DVCPRO deck...and just capture via firewire.

J

Ah, that is what I meant. I've never worked with HD before, and I thought that maybe I would need a special deck to capture the 24p. But you can't capture HD footage on just any miniDV deck, can you? I have an old Sony GV-D300 deck, but thought that it might capture SD miniDV footage only.

Edited by Steven Nayhi

• Premium Member
Ah, that is what I meant. I've never worked with HD before, and I thought that maybe I would need a special deck to capture the 24p. But you can't capture HD footage on just any miniDV deck, can you? I have an old Sony GV-D300 deck, but thought that it might capture SD miniDV footage only.

If you shot on miniDV tape with the HVX, you shot SD. It doesn't record HD on tape - all the HD formats are P2 only.

J

• Premium Member
Really? My DP told me that it's still HD, just not at as high of a resolution as if we were using the P2. True?

Sorry, but miniDV (25mbs) is only SD - it's basically working very much like a DVX-100 at that point. With P2 you can also shoot DVCPRO50 (SD at 50Mbps) and DVCPROHD (1080i/720p at 100Mbps).

J

• Premium Member
Really? My DP told me that it's still HD, just not at as high of a resolution as if we were using the P2. True?

I'm sorry, your DP doesn't know his camera very well. Time for a new DP. ;)

John is right, you did not record HD - you recorded DV. :(

• Premium Member
I'm sorry, your DP doesn't know his camera very well. Time for a new DP. ;)

John is right, you did not record HD - you recorded DV. :(

And you tricked me cause you said HD and I forgot the HVX only records HD to disk and the tape machine is only DV. Fear not. Do you really need the HD?

• Premium Member
What's the point of using one of those if only SD video can be recorded anyway?

No point. Your DP didn't know what he was doing and you got a DV recording on expensive tape. Here is the fact, it is a DV recording, not HD recording.

Perhaps he thought it was recorded as HDV on tape.

Panasonic was the only company to use memory cards to record at that level when they came out with teh camera. Basically they took a DVX100 and copied Andromeda who was already doing pixel shift, and simply made a new body, kept the DVX recorder, and the same chipset, and had a cheap, easy to engineer HD camera using P2 which was originally tried as a professional format for news ENG but didn't get the sales they were hoping for so they got their investment back by making it into a consumer/prosumer format into the HVX.

Recording HD onto MiniDV tape, as you thought you were doing, is done in a format called HDV. Only cameras that support HDV can do it. The HVX is not one of those cameras. You need to look at both the data formats and media used by any camera you are considering. The HVX records MiniDV format to MiniDV tape, and records DVCPro50 and DVCProHD to P2 cards.

Recording HD onto MiniDV tape, as you thought you were doing, is done in a format called HDV. Only cameras that support HDV can do it. The HVX is not one of those cameras. You need to look at both the data formats and media used by any camera you are considering. The HVX records MiniDV format to MiniDV tape, and records DVCPro50 and DVCProHD to P2 cards.

Thanks, Scott. And thanks to everyone else for the information. Will have to work with what I've got.