Let's share some still photos...

You know, after spending around 10 hours scanning 2 rolls of film. . . Sometimes I question why I don't just go out and get a D40.

Adrian, that's exactly what I thought almost three years ago. I didn't have any room to print negatives at home, didn't have dark room equipment, and was shooting so many rolls every week that i decided to buy a D70s. For a year or so I was shooting all the time (I shot more than 10.000 pictures on a tv series I was working on, and I wasn't the stills photographer!).

However, after a couple of years, I bought a new enlarger (on ebay, less than 200$), and found a way to turn the kitchen into a dark room whenever I needed it. Don't know why, perhaps I was growing tired of the immediacy of digital, and I could feel my pictures were lacking something. Digital is great, but I believe film makes me take "riskier" pictures, I don't like being on the safe side too much.

Now I'm shooting 95% film, mostly black and white (with a F100 and a 20mm that never leaves the body, and with a Hasselblad), and I make someone else scan the negatives. Next step, I'm thinking about using anamorphic lenses on my Nikon :lol:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

For me, film is like Christmas. By the time I get around to dropping off my neg for processing, I have forgotten what the hell I took photos of, so when it comes back; I have the great joy of 37 little presents!

One of these days I'll figure out a way to shanghai someone into scanning them for me. . . I just need the right blackmail photographs first :ph34r:

One of these days I'll figure out a way to shanghai someone into scanning them for me. . . I just need the right blackmail photographs first :ph34r:

Isn't there a scanning service available at the lab where you have your film developed? What I usually do is select a few negatives every 3 months and drop them at the lab for scanning at less than 10$ per roll. I could spend a lot more and scan them at high resolution, but since I print them at home, I use the scans just as a sort of lo-res digital backup.

p.s. I like that, "film is like Christmas". ;)

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure they have a scanning service there; I know they do it for slides, but, for myself, I like to be there when it's scanned to I can manipulate the levels and HSL functions on the scanner to get it to more closely emulate what I'm seeing on my contact sheet. There was a lab here once, and I got a scan from them of b/w, but they had left their scanner calibrated for color neg. . . so i got back vert interesting black and green files.

I'm one of those people who just has to go to the telecine session, or be the one to press the pretty red button ;-)

By the way, Francesco, I really, really loved the b&w stuff you shot with the T-Max 3200. I'd love to see some more of that.

Thank you vert much, Jason!

I used to shoot a lot of TMax 3200, in the last few months I've been mainly using Fuji Neopan and Kodak TriX on my Hasselbad, but I'm planning to use some 3200 soon. I'm leaving for work in two days and i'll be back in ten weeks, i'll try to scan some more negatives as soon as i come back (and set up a flickr account ;) ). Thank you again!

All of you guys had some great stuff, though. I spent at least the last hour browsing your collections. Good stuff!

I second that. Some really impressive stuff and so many interesting different styles!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

don't have a lot of time to check all the galleries these days, but it seems that the overall quality is very very high, way better than most photography forums.

p.s. Jon, your link is not working

p.p.s. thanks Emanuel! :D