Douglas Slocombe Technique and Technical Specs

Jack Williamson

I still love and prefer the 'classic, old' look of movies to the look of movies today, particularly the look of anamorphic movies of the seventies.

I happened to turn on Dirty Harry on a Hi Def channel the other day and was blown away by how sharp it was, yet not slick and glossy. 'Gritty' you might say, but not in a 'grainy' sense (if that makes sense). That to me is the right balance. Sharp, but not slick. Movies of old remastered in Hi Def really make you appreciate just how good these movies were photographed back then and how superior those 'old' cine lenses and filmstocks are to todays state of the art HD cameras.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Having seen the trailer projected before "Spiderwyk Chronicles" I can tell you that they definitely did NOT do any grain reduction for the new Indiana Jones movie, at least not for the trailer -- the trailer has visible grain. Looks like 5279 to me. In fact, it looks grainier than the original trilogy, but it definitely doesn't have any modern digital feel, other than some effects.