Need Help: Aaton 35-III vs. Moviecam Compact MKII... Pros and Cons

Wai Choy

Hi,

I'm prepping to shoot my thesis film in May, 2008 and am talking to a couple of rental houses in New York regarding renting a 35mm package.

The two cameras that I'm looking at renting are either the Aaton 35-III or the Moviecam Compact MKII.

My needs for the shoot are:

- Camera must be quiet enough to not be picked up by the microphone even when the camera is close to the mic.

- Camera must be able to shoot 3-perf super 35mm without jamming or other issues.

- Camera must be light, compact, and easy to fly on a steadicam rig.

Which camera would you say is better and what pros and cons are there for each camera?

I haven't used either of these cameras before, so it would be really helpful if you'd fill me in on any weaknesses or glitches that these cameras have.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Wai

Edited by Wai Choy

Guest Stephen Murphy

Personally i hate the Aaton 35-3, i think its flimsy, i'm not crazy about the optics and the magazines are a nightmare for the loader; theyre great for handheld but thats about it.

On the other hand im very biased towards Moviecams - I've used them for years. The compact is a superb body and its a great system, very flexible.

In terms of your needs both cameras are silent, and although the Aaton is lighter then the Compact the compact can be flown on steadicams with the proper 100% video top, LowModeBracket and vertical steadi mags. As an operator id rather have a properly built compact on my rig then the aaton. Perhaps others may disagree.

• Upvote 1