Types of filters that modify the "look" of the image?

I know all about ND filters, conversion filters, color filters, etc.

However, what I do not know about are filters for 35mm film lenses that modify the look of the image.

I've heard about Promist, LowCon, UltraCon, etc. filters but have no idea what they're used for or what the images shot with them would look like.

Would you please fill me in on the main look-modifying filters and what their effects are?

Thanks a lot.

Wai

I know all about ND filters, conversion filters, color filters, etc.

However, what I do not know about are filters for 35mm film lenses that modify the look of the image.

I've heard about Promist, LowCon, UltraCon, etc. filters but have no idea what they're used for or what the images shot with them would look like.

Would you please fill me in on the main look-modifying filters and what their effects are?

Thanks a lot.

Wai

As far as I can tell ALL filters that "modify" the look of footage as you describe operate on some variant of an approach that degrades the image quality. Diffusion filters, low con filters, mist filters, fog filters, all use either suspended particles in/on the filter glass or have certain characteristics within the glass itself that "spreads" the gamma and/or highlights.

There are subtle differences between the various types of these filters, but really, they all operate on the same principle.

There are tradeoffs when using these filters in that you lose sharpness and/or color saturation.

Edited by Christopher Santucci