David Watkin

Jon Kukla

I've started to hear some rumblings that, unfortunately, he may have died last night. If this is true, I have to say that I'm very upset to hear it - I had the good fortune to have hung out with him several times, and his autobiography is intelligent, wry, and hilarious. As for his films, where to begin?

My roommate just recently acquired the entire set of BTF DVDs the BFI released. I shall definitely be checking these out soon to see his earlier work that I'm less familiar with...

• Premium Member

Another one of my heroes passes away...

I think "Robin and Marion" was one of the first Watkin movies I had ever projected in a theater (at a revival house in college); I had seen "Help!" many times on TV as a kid. It was "The Three Musketeers" and its sequel that really caught my eye. And "Yentyl", which I saw in that period of college.

Oh man that is bad news. Not only is his work inspirational where he certainly left his mark, he was a gentleman. I had the opportunity to work for him on two films. Night Falls on Manhattan and a remake of Gloria.

One minor detail that I was always intrigued by is that he banned electricians from using barn doors on lights. All the control and cutting was done by grips.

He will be missed.

Best

Tim

• Premium Member

Very sad.

I wrote him a letter in November including a check for his new book and he immediately wrote back and invited me and my AC for lunch at his house in Brighton after he had his op. Then when we wrote again he said that the doctors had been unable to op on him, and that he'd just have to "live" with it as he said. He suggested a lunch early in the new year, but sadly, it looks like he got worse and I didn't hear from him again.

This trailblazing and hugely influential DP will be sorely missed. His style was way ahead of its time and one could go so far as to say that he was the father of the "Brit-invasion" look that would later change the way Hollywood films look. He was also a witty and intelligent man, by all accounts. Thnakfully, I should have his newest book waiting for me when I get back.

BTW, not many DP's get a light named after themselves in their own time, but David "Wendy" Watkin, BSC did.

RIP.

Adam i wrote to David after seeing "The Three Musketeers" , he was living in a lovely house in Roehampton with views over Richmond Park .He invited me to dinner at that house ,his house keeper had done a cold roast pork meal all David had to do was boil the potatos . That meal meeting went on all night he gave me a Gossen Lunasix meter he used on "Catch 22" . I then went with him to Northern Spain to do prep. on " Robin and Marion" testing the then new dreadful 5247 . I didnt work on the main unit shooting due to personal reasons which i wont mention now as it such a sad day for me .

Adam i wrote to David after seeing "The Three Musketeers" , he was living in a lovely house in Roehampton with views over Richmond Park .He invited me to dinner at that house ,his house keeper had done a cold roast pork meal all David had to do was boil the potatos . That meal meeting went on all night he gave me a Gossen Lunasix meter he used on "Catch 22" . I then went with him to Northern Spain to do prep. on " Robin and Marion" testing the then new dreadful 5247 . I didnt work on the main unit shooting due to personal reasons which i wont mention now as it such a sad day for me .

He seems like a wonderful person. I'm very sorry to hear he's gone.

My condolances to his family and friends. Cancer is such a drealful killer. :(

Guest Tim Partridge

I have been quite upset about this. I had the chance to meet Mr. Watkin on more than two occassions but felt these moments inappropriate, that I didn't wish to bother him and that I should wait for the right time. Deflating.

Mr. Watkin's unique brand of edgeless photography is one of the reasons I visit this forum and even express an interest in the artform of cinematography. Too many only really know his work for OUT OF AFRICA (and as a die hard Watkin fan it is not even a favourite, even though it is mindblowing)! Please go out of your way to watch these films (even just for the cinematography):

THE KNACK AND HOW TO GET IT

HELP!

MARAT/SADE

HOW I WON THE WAR

CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

THE BED SITTING ROOM

CATCH 22

THE DEVILS

THE THREE MUSKETEERS

THE FOUR MUSKETEERS

ROBIN AND MARIAN

JESUS OF NAZARETH

CHARIOTS OF FIRE

YENTYL

RETURN TO OZ

WHITE NIGHTS

MOONSTRUCK

MEMPHIS BELLE

HAMLET

Even JANE EYRE and TEA WITH MUSSOLINI

Timeless cinematography.

My thoughts are of course with Mr. Watkin's friends and family at this sad time. Just looking at his website, at how many have purchased his book, you can see that Mr Watkin was a much loved person and cameraman.

I would like to conclude with a personal favourite from a personal favourite :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrHQ8yYFREM...feature=related

• 10 months later...

Somehow I missed this when he died early last year.

Probably the first movie I saw shot by Mr Watkin was "Endless Love," when I was waaaay too young to be watching a movie like that. Re-watching it recently, wow, that movie is a beautiful piece of photography.

I would like to read his books.

RIP.