stripes on dress on 16mm

tommy holman

Hey,

I am about to shoot a short film on 16mm, using an Arri-SR3, one of the actresses in the film has a dress on with vertical stripes going down the dress, the stripes are around 2mm wide and there is about a 1cm gap between each stripe, will that be a problem if shooting on 16mm film?

As i have heard before that sometimes stripes on film can cause a problem if the film does not hit the stripes in exactly the same place and it can seem like the stripes are moving around, is this correct?

Any help would be great, thanks for your time,

Tommy Holman

Hey,

I am about to shoot a short film on 16mm, using an Arri-SR3, one of the actresses in the film has a dress on with vertical stripes going down the dress, the stripes are around 2mm wide and there is about a 1cm gap between each stripe, will that be a problem if shooting on 16mm film?

As i have heard before that sometimes stripes on film can cause a problem if the film does not hit the stripes in exactly the same place and it can seem like the stripes are moving around, is this correct?

Tommy Holman

On 'Film' they will be fine.. once transferred to 'VIDEO' they will be a problem!

We will be getting it telecined to digi beta, will that cause a problem? and why? also what is the best way to resolve the issue, apart from getting rid of the dress! thanks again.

Some striped clothing causes a moire pattern and this only happens in the video world. It never happens on film(as far as I know). You will however see it on things shot in film and transferred to video.

It happens when the pattern on clothing and other things, interferes with the interlaced lines on video.

The same piece of clothing may not cause it on close up but may cause it on wider shots as the detail gets finer and finer.

If you want to be sure you don't get it, then change the outfit. If you can't change to outfit you may want to do a test. According to Murphy's law if you don't do a test, then you will surely get it.

Actually with the latest progressive video formats, I wonder if this is less likely to happen. But one cannot be sure with a test.

But without actually seeing the clothing you are planning to shoot, no one here can offer much more advice.

Good luck

Tim

Edited by timHealy