REDuser ethics

Jaron Berman

• Premium Member
You can argue film vs. video aesthetics till the cows come home, but the cost comparison is almost laughable at this stage of the game.

I don't think the cost comparison is laughable. Printing video to 35mm isn't cheap, and most comparisons I've seen show that much of the "savings" are spent in post. If you're going straight to DVD then yes, video is going to be cheaper in most instances.

Studios and production companies that are producing a film for theatrical release don't generally buy cameras. So the fact is they're going to be renting them, so the cost of buying a Red or some other camera isn't a factor.

By the way Haakon, you need to change your user name to your real first and last name.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Sprung - "prewar" was my attempt at humor that was obviously lost on you. We need not identify which conflict I was speaking of when I meant"war".

May Jacoby - Fugghedaboutit. Go home, open up a fresh can of Kodak Vision 3, throw it on your bed, and roll around in it, savoring the odor. There's nothing like film.

• Premium Member
Or maybe it may be more accurate to change your misspelling to his real and full name, including the norwegian character. ;)

I was simply asking him to abide by this site's rules. I can't type a Norwegian (should I criticize your incorrect capitalization?) character on my keyboard, but I'm pretty sure he got the idea, as you did. Your sarcasm is noted, and VERY funny.

• Premium Member
Look at his IMDb.

Personally I find it intersting that people look at IMDB as some sort of gospel. I've seen names credited with things I worked on, who I never saw on the program, and all sorts of changes and errors. I guess it's a good ego stroker for some and resume for others, but I wouldn't treat it as the end all in who does what. Its very lacking to say the least.

As for names. I feel it's very important to have your full name and other pertinent information posted here. It's nice to know who you are talking to, not a CB handle. It adds credibility and responsibility to posting. It's far too easy to see someone named "BestDP" who simply posts to push peoples buttons, and/or posts as an amatuer whose only experience is the bonus features on a DVD. But ask him to be responsible with showing his name and suddenly he can't hide behind the handle as easily. I am very glad this forum requires such and hope it is the one thing they enforce first and foremost.

• Premium Member
Stephen; I meant the guy probably legally only has one name. Look at his IMDb.

Who only has one name? Even Cher and Madonna have real first and last names. I highly doubt this guy has only one name.

Maybe he should get a last name to satisfy the draconians around here.

Could you be any more dramatic? I don't think there's anything unusually severe or cruel about asking someone to use his real name, especially when it's a rule on this website. Everyone else abides by the rules, I'm sure he can too.

Who only has one name? Even Cher and Madonna have real first and last names.

But you wouldn't be asking the first and last names of Cher or Madonna if you could have clue about who is behind the keyboard, right?

Häakon is one of the most well-known mods at reduser.net -- he was invited to join the team, like David Mullen has been. He's doing his good job there as mod, like David Mullen too. Just as a simple example. One coming from dvxuser.com where the RED project effectively born whether you like Jarred, whether not (so, can we infer that the RED cinema camera is also Jarred's work, right? ;) ). Another one coming from here. But we can add other names from here (with identical status even if not entitled, so far...) like Stephen (Williams), as well. So, this continual and persistent demand is perfectly odd and unappropriate IMO. Moreover, a lack of respect to him, though not so surprisedly considering a few behaviours over here. Or yet, an evidence of absolute ignorance* about who Häakon is.

Respectfully,

Emanuel

[EDIT]

* Or if you wish... as far as the reduser.net and the RED cinema camera are concerned.

Edited by Emanuel A Guedes

(...) so, can we infer that the RED cinema camera is also Jarred's work, right? ;) (...)

I'm sorry for my non-native foreigner english... I should replace it with:

"so, we can infer that the RED cinema camera is also Jarred's work, right?" :rolleyes:

• Premium Member
Emanuel,

Don't sweat it. It's the usual cinematography.com BS.

Obviously the guy goes by one name and is pretty well known by that one name. It's too much for some people 'round here to handle.

Hi,

It's just the rules of this forum, very simple.

Stephen

He's a priveliedged nearly 7 foot kid who comes from a Canadian family that owns a convenience store chain in Canada. He became a snowboarder in Jasper when he got old enough to move where he worked cleaning rooms in a hotel.

I have known Jarred Land for almost 10 years now, and to call him 'A privileged kid' is ridiculous. Privileged kids do not earn food cleaning hotel rooms, which he did, and yes we all made fun of him at the time. If you piss him off he can be an a**ho** (Sorry Jarred) - because he doesn't take $hit from anyone. But to those that don't piss him off, He is also one of the most kindest, laid back, generous guys that I know. He is also one of the smartest 'non-business-looking' businessman I have ever met.

Yes he doesn't have 30 years of film training like everyone here, but he must of done something right because shot a feature for his second gig, then another, then another, then started a small empire over at DVXuser, moved to Los Angeles from Canada and within a couple months started shooting Rob Schneider's directorial debut. Somewhere in the middle of that he went and helped shoot a few fx shots for Spielberg, and a handful of national commercials. Not bad for a 'privileged kid' from Canada with 'no' experience. Maybe that is what makes some of you so angry.

I remember years ago before anybody knew what a "Phantom" was, him and another friend of mine, Nick Bicanic, flew back and forth to Vision Research and somehow they convinced them to enter the cinematography world. Many of you 'professionals' are benefiting from that today. I know the stunt world did. I am sure Panasonic would thank him for some of the success of both the DVX100 and the HVX200, and I am sure Red would thank him for some of the success of the Red.

My Biased 2 Cents. Flame On.

• Premium Member

> Not bad for

No.

But he's editing people's public speech.

Do we have here another example of the fact that it's next to impossible to be both successful and honest in cinematography?

P

• Premium Member
Häakon is one of the most well-known mods at reduser.net -- he was invited to join the team, like David Mullen has been. He's doing his good job there as mod

This isn't reduser.net. The rules are different here. It's a simple rule that we all agree to when we sign up. Anyone who doesn't like the rules doesn't have to involve themselves here. This site is free. The least we can do is follow the rules here.

So, this continual and persistent demand is perfectly odd and unappropriate IMO.

Boy you sure are dramatic. There is obviously nothing inappropriate about using your real name. I'd say the exact opposite is true. If it's so inappropriate, why are you using your real name?

Moreover, a lack of respect to him, though not so surprisedly considering a few behaviours over here. Or yet, an evidence of absolute ignorance* about who Häakon is.

Respectfully,

Emanuel

Lack of respect? How so? It's a rule for everyone. No one has been singled out. Is this guy so incredibly special that he doesn't have to follow any rules for some reason? Is he better than everyone else?

Yes, I am ignorant about who Haakon is. Is there some big reason beyond reduser.net (which I've never been to) that I should have detailed information about who the guy is? If so, please inform me.

• Premium Member
moved to Los Angeles from Canada and within a couple months started shooting Rob Schneider's directorial debut.

My Biased 2 Cents. Flame On.

Are you talking about "Big Stan"? I believe that to be Rob Schneider's directorial debut, and I happened to have worked on it as the "C" camera operator and I shot some splinter unit footage. The DP's name is Victor Hammer. I don't remember meeting anyone named Jarred Land. He wasn't in the camera department while I was working on the movie.

I'm not trying to flame you, but obviously there is some confusion that needs to be sorted out.

Häakon is a young and good fellow enough in order to have this mate posting in any way other than as a non-pretensious hint about where this talented, promising DoP can go:

A295_C004_071219_00454.jpg

A296_C001_071219_00189.jpg

A001_C001_071201_00700.jpg

A307_C006_071220_00496.jpg

or some graded versions*:

1434_1199192283.jpg

1434_1196945317.jpg

1434_1196946284.jpg

* by Concrete, reduser.net poster: "(...) adding some grain (latter two). The image was too clean for me!" :lol:

This is not my email address... your point?

Jim

Well, it appears numerous people have written to you at that address and

had replies back they thought were from you, coming back from the same address.

I suppose it's one thing to have replies "ghost written" by one of your employees

when you're too busy to attend to itself, that's certainly better than nothing at all.

But you're saying you don't know who sent the email!

So does this mean that all the people who thought they were writing to you at that address

were actually getting replies written by someone else without your knowledge?

So they have no way of knowing whether the replies they received are an accurate

reflection of The Thoughts of Chairman Jim, or not.

OK if you don't think that's a big deal, well that's your privelege.