Ok question here. whats the best way to make a crowd scene with 5 guys and 2 girls? I was going to have 5 guys and 5 girls but 3 girls "had to do something".

to make the most of things I'll need to have those 5 people in each shot and alternate costumes I guess.

any ideas?

• Premium Member

Frame your shots as tight as possible and stage your extras in depth. With each shot change around their positions so on camera it looks like you're seeing different people in each shot.

For a wide establishing shot sometimes you can do locked-down shot with green screen, creating different "zones" of people to composite together.

Guest Buddy Greenfield

Depending on the type of scene you are going for and the pace of the action, you might be able to suggest at least double or triple the amount of people you have by a series of close dolly (Or pan) and dissolve shots.

For example passing a row of shoes > dissolve> other shoes > dissolve > more shoes> dissolve. Then do the same by passing whatever they are wearing like tee shirts or on their hands, or from behind and so on, but mix it up with different costumes and shoes of course.

Then show the action of the main character (If there is one) as Medium OTS, and/or Wide but Close through a gap in the 5 people you do have, and maybe have them pushing against each other like a crowd gathered around a fight would look.

With a decent audio track of 15 -20 people gathered around it might work, but then again, it might not be what you need at all.

they are fantastic ideas guys. It will basically be a reconstruction of greyhound race. But already I see how well this will work out hopefully. What if I took several exactly similar shots of the area and made the cast move around the frame (similar to a time lapse but all at once) and then in FCP I could lump them down on top of each other and change the opacity? I'm already thinking that this was going to be a fairly effected reconstruction....I'll give it a try.

Thanks again

• Premium Member
they are fantastic ideas guys. It will basically be a reconstruction of greyhound race. But already I see how well this will work out hopefully. What if I took several exactly similar shots of the area and made the cast move around the frame (similar to a time lapse but all at once) and then in FCP I could lump them down on top of each other and change the opacity? I'm already thinking that this was going to be a fairly effected reconstruction....I'll give it a try.

Thanks again

Did you use this approach? If so, how did it turn out?