Shutter angle + Filter calculations

Hello,

I'm shooting outside during the day with a 500asa Tung stock, I have a 85b correction and want to shoot it with a 45 degree angle...so to set my lightmeter's ISO, is this calculations correct?

-2 stops comp for shutter, brings me down from 500 to 125

-2/3 stop (which I'm going to put as 1 full stop) for 85b which brings me down from 125 to 64 ISO

Is 64 asa correct? thanks a bunch in advance...

Hello,

I'm shooting outside during the day with a 500asa Tung stock, I have a 85b correction and want to shoot it with a 45 degree angle...so to set my lightmeter's ISO, is this calculations correct?

-2 stops comp for shutter, brings me down from 500 to 125

-2/3 stop (which I'm going to put as 1 full stop) for 85b which brings me down from 125 to 64 ISO

Is 64 asa correct? thanks a bunch in advance...

That sounds right . . .

i have never shot at any other shutter angle other than 180 deg, so i am interested in finding out the compensation when shooting at different shutter angles.

when you shoot at:

90 deg is it 1 stop of compensation?

45 deg is 2 stops of compensation?

is this right?

regards

ken minehan

i have never shot at any other shutter angle other than 180 deg, so i am interested in finding out the compensation when shooting at different shutter angles.

when you shoot at:

90 deg is it 1 stop of compensation?

45 deg is 2 stops of compensation?

is this right?

regards

ken minehan

the best way to understand this is to understand exposure time

exposure time can be calculated by dividing shutter opening with the product of 360 and fps you are shooting at

thus

exposure time= shutter opening/ 360 x1/ fps

thus when you shoot with 180 shutter opening at 24fps you get

exposure time = 180/360X1/24

=1/2x1/24

=1/48

so now when you close your shutter to have 90 degree opening you get

exposure time = 90/360x1/24

= 1/4x1/24

= 1/96

which is half the time a frame gets at 180 degree

so in oder to make it normal exposure, film would require double amount of light thn it requires with 180 degree opening

2x1/96=1/48

thus you need to give one stop compensation; as it doubles the amount of light reaching the film

hope it helps

What is the corellation between Stop Compensation and ASA. By that I mean, you started with and ASA of 500 and knew that you needed to compensate 3 stops, how did you get to 64? Is it just 500 to 200 to 125 to 64? Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by DJ Kast

• Premium Member
What is the corellation between Stop Compensation and ASA. By that I mean, you started with and ASA of 500 and knew that you needed to compensate 3 stops, how did you get to 64? Is it just 500 to 200 to 125 to 64? Thanks for the clarification.

ASA (ISO; Exposure index - all the same numbers) go on a scale by one-third stops. Halving or doubling the ISO numbers is a change of one stop. So, to go 3 stops from 500 is 64.

-1 stop change>

-1 stop change->

-1 stop change->