NAB

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member
Does anyone know if there will be anything interesting there?

Well, I know that Sony's unveiling a new LCD HD engineering monitor. I gripped on the shoot that was supposed to provide footage for the monitor at NAB (I was only there for the Fort Point/Golden Gate Bridge stuff).

They were shooting with an F23 and the wide DigiZoom and using mostly natural light. The Sony clients were really interested in seeing what the extremes of highlight and shadow detail the camera could hold, so it could be an interesting presentation to check out.

The monitor was on set and actually had rather milky blacks, not surprising for an LCD I guess. But for $20k I would have thought it was going to be better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Minimise the amount of walking you do. You will end up footsore regardless.

Eat big breakfasts and big evening meals, skipping lunch, or carry snacks. If you do need to leave the exhibition to eat, intending to return, don't go to the convention centre food courts. They're crap, stupidly expensive and so crowded you'll do as well time-wise to walk to the Hilton or even leave the complex entirely and get a decent meal elsewhere.

Likewise, carry water. Vending machines are expensive and rare, and although it's unlikely to be steaming hot this early in the year, you will regret paying $4 for a drink.

The monorail is well worth investigating if you're more than a couple of stops from the LVCC, especially if you are at a hotel with a stop. It's a bit spendy.

If you haven't been to Vegas before, be aware that merely walking from the main entrance of a hotel to somewhere within it can be a ten to fifteen minute exercise.

There is generally free wireless internet inside the LVCC. I'm never sure whether this is a NAB thing, an LVCC thing, or whether you're just stealing from people on booths, but I've never had a problem.

Stuart, did you manage to swing going?

P

• Premium Member
I will be there. It is my first NAB. Any tips besides wear comfortable shoes?

Bring a durable canvas bag to carry literature, but use it sparingly. Have them scan your badge and mail stuff instead. You can easily accumulate dozens of pounds of paper in a day there.

Get your catalog and maps and plan well before you go. Read thru the blurbs, and mark the places you want to see on the maps. The booth numbering system is somewhat nonsensical, so don't rely on it. Use the huge mega-booths as landmarks instead. Also, ID on your maps some of the smaller booths around the big ones, as this will be helpful in determining what direction you're facing.

If they have exhibits at other sites, bear in mind that the shuttle busses sometimes require long waits in line. They are, though, a chance to sit down. Starting a day off the main site and taking only one bus ride will make better use of your time.

Do figure on packing in food and water, but don't bother with candy or popcorn. Those are available at many of the booths. Mark them on the maps, as you may want to stop by again on the way out. ;-)

-- J.S.

Thanks for the tips guys. I am staying at Paris so I will just take the monorail out to the convention center. Good tips on packing water as I was planning on carrying a bag with me for swag and lit. I am planning on going to the promax party, are there any other events like that after hours?