NAB

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member
I will be there. It is my first NAB. Any tips besides wear comfortable shoes?

Wear a coat and a tie, I wear my best summer wool business suits. Vendors take you MUCH more seriously that way. I've walked off from an NAB with as much as $1800 of radio engineering related freebies. And got really good deals for my clients by looking like what I am, a professional.

Back in the day I walked up to the President of Ampex at an NAB and laid out some really serious problems I was having getting service parts. They were requiring customers to go through distributors for parts. Unfortunately one usually got the distributor's standard answer that they would put your parts on their next order. So either the gear stayed down or you ended up having to stock way too many parts. Two months after I griped to "The Boss" they completely changed their policy to allow radio and TV stations, studios, etc. to buy direct. You had to pay list price but that's what the distributors charged anyhow. Do you think I'd have got that kind of response wearing a ZZ Top t-shirt and frayed jeans?

• Premium Member
Tie?

I don't own a tie.

What color do you want? I've got a few extras.

Don't get me wrong Phil, I'm in t-shirts and shorts all summer, I rarely put on my suits but when I do - it's a deliberate act - probably qualifying me for Equity or SAG membership.

• Premium Member

Most important, start with an idea of the size of the ordeal. Their latest e-mail says that there's over 1.7 million square feet of exhibits. Estimating the aisles and booths to total 25 feet wide, that would require about 13 miles of walking to pass within a reasonable sign-reading distance of everything. (Of course that estimate breaks down inside the mega-booths.) Given that you have basically three and a half days, you'd need to make four miles a day, plus whatever steps you have to retrace to get in and out.

-- J.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Yes. OK, last call for Who's Going.

Me.

Best time for a meet-up - say Wednesday evening?

P

I'm trying to convince a deep pocketed client they need me out there with them. I'm in a meeting with them tomorrow - more will be revealed. I could go on my own ticket but OPM is SO much better.

OPM? Other People's Money

it may not fit the suit you're wearing, but a $60 pair of running sneakers from your local sporting goods store will save you the foot/knee/ back ache you'll have after standing on concrete all day...

i've done my fair share of shoots and set-ups at convention centers and hotels and believe me, those are worth every penny...

something with air/gas chambers in the heels and a pair of gel inserts bought after the plane ride will make it far more enjoyable....

• Premium Member
it may not fit the suit you're wearing, but a $60 pair of running sneakers from your local sporting goods store will save you the foot/knee/ back ache you'll have after standing on concrete all day...

As a matter of fact, I wear a pair of black New Balance Post Office Walkers with my suit...........I ain't so dumb as to wear leather dress shoes on the floor! The PO Walkers get a bit warm but they're as comfortable a pair of shoes as I know of.

Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it out to NAB, I've got a client with a need that's got to be taken care of this week. Have a good time gang.