10 reasons...

Jim Jannard

I don't understand why Jim is so emotional about some of the feedback he's getting.

I don't think he's emotional about any of that ... I think he's just trying to stir up a hornet's nest and keep people talking about his camera. He comes here, creates a ridiculous topic as this one (to provoke people) and ... leaves. Three pages later and we are still talking about it. That's exactly what he wants.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it doesn't exist already, some sort of service bulletin board on the RED site needs to be set up that simply lists current update issues and bugs, with links to current discussions, if helpful, on the RED User site. Or a regular email to RED owners. But all this info needs to be gathered and separated from the discussions so that it is easy to find (speaking as someone who may be doing a RED shoot this summer...)

At the moment, they have the geeks who are really into the RED upgrades etc. However, as more cameras get sold, there will people buying them or using them who have other things to do with their lives, or not that interested in ploughing through a large number threads in a forum to find information.

What percentage of computer users check on the latest upgrades for the software? They might ask a question in a Windows forum if they've a problem, but I rather suspect most don't even do that.

Fortunately, with most software, it's updated automatically, when computer users go on-line.

I know film/video camera people who haven't even heard of RED, so these people will need education and training as the RED and various other data cameras become more common. Also, many in the industry don't go on training workshops, they tend to pick it up by the traditional on the job method or using a manual (or given a run through) and playing with the gear in a rental house.

• Premium Member
red is the most unorganized company in the history of camera development and no one cannot say that is not the truth

I think the real problem is that they simply do not have enough staff, organized or otherwise. Their obsession with "deadlines" (now relaxed somewhat) was not doing them or their customers any good.

• Premium Member
If it doesn't exist already, some sort of service bulletin board on the RED site needs to be set up that simply lists current update issues and bugs, with links to current discussions, if helpful, on the RED User site. Or a regular email to RED owners. But all this info needs to be gathered and separated from the discussions so that it is easy to find (speaking as someone who may be doing a RED shoot this summer...)

This is quite badly needed. The RED is a promising piece of equipment but it is just barely useable in build 14, on a real-world production schedule, in my opinion.

Not trying to start a war with that statement, by the way. <_<

There are at least 10 reasons why NOT to get near a RED camera.

1. Phil Rhodes says that it is grotesquely incompetent.

2. Phil is certain that the 4K resolution is really less than 2K.

3. Max agrees with everything Phil says.

4. Dynamic range is really only 6 stops according to someone.

5. The sensor is not better than a cell phone... according to Phil.

6. The UI is on the back. Can't shoot backed up to a wall.

7. The skew of any CMOS just isn't acceptable.

8. PJ, SS, DD, MA, SB, and 800 others have no fu$king clue what they are doing.

9. The RED 18-50mm zoom has got to be a re-housed Sigma.

10. Lab tests have shown that the RED ONE is associated with leprosy.

Oh, I forgot. 11. You hate RED's marketing.

I know the list should be much longer. If you believe any of these to be true or relevant, you should absolutely stay away from RED at all costs.

Jim

I love RED and everything about it. I think it is a ground breaking product and the RED team and management deserves endless applause. But I am beginning to think that Jim Jannard isn't the one who is writing this.

I would assume that an owner and CEO of a fortune 500 company would be more busy than surf discussion forums.

Edited by Arni Heimir

I love RED and everything about it. I think it is a ground breaking product and the RED team and management deserves endless applause. But I am beginning to think that Jim Jannard isn't the one who is writing this.

I would assume that an owner and CEO of a fortune 500 company would be more busy than surf discussion forums.

Not any more he isn't :lol:

If we assume Jim has a 50 year life span, he could theoretically spend just under a million dollars a week for the rest of his life without going broke. I really don't understand what the big attraction is with this project.