Wanted: Arri 2b/c blimp, lens and crystal motor or base

Jeremy Ford

• Premium Member

If you want to try the blimp thing with the Arriflex 16S, I think I can help you. :rolleyes:

Over the last few years of running the Arri16S.com web site and servicing Arriflex cameras, I have been asked a number of times if I sell Arriflex cameras and Arriflex equipment. As a general rule I do not.

This summer I will be relocating my shop, and in the interest of moving as little as possible, I am selling a few items that I no longer need.

The first item for sale is the ARRI Lightweight Fibre Glass Blimp 16 that I rebuilt and restored this past year.

Blimp.jpg

You can see many detailed pictures of the blimp and read about its operation by visiting the web page below. You can also listen to sound clips of an Arriflex 16S camera running inside and outside of the blimp to see how much it really absorbs the camera noise.

ARRI Blimp for sale

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Do you think that will fit a 2b/c?

Jeremy,

I have fit an Arriflex IIC with a Cinematography Electronics base in the blimp with a 400 ft mag and a Cooke Speed Panchro prime attached, and it works very well at quieting the camera noise. You need to remove the mounting hardware for the Arriflex 16S first, and you no longer have follow focus or remote aperture adjustments, but it does a nice job of killing the camera noise.

As far as the blimp on eBay right now, the one you have pictured, I can't quite figure out what camera that is for. I don't see a way that an Arriflex 35 IIB or IIC would fit in there and when you look at the motor assembly listed with the blimp, I can't tell what camera that was made for either, but it isn't for a IIB or IIC.

Best,

-Tim

As far as the blimp on eBay right now, the one you have pictured, I can't quite figure out what camera that is for. I don't see a way that an Arriflex 35 IIB or IIC would fit in there and when you look at the motor assembly listed with the blimp, I can't tell what camera that was made for either, but it isn't for a IIB or IIC.

I agree with the one on ebay. I think it's for a 16bl. That's the only one I can see fitting in there.

Ok, your asking $1k for the blimp? Is that the rock bottom price? R u in LA or does that include shipping? I'm very interested. Let me work on getting some money together. I know I can't shoot mynext feature without a blimp. I'm also looking for a set of lenses for a 2c/b possibly with another camera if you know anyone selling one. Oh, and I still need a crystal motor too. lol

• Premium Member
Ok, your asking $1k for the blimp? Is that the rock bottom price? R u in LA or does that include shipping? I'm very interested. Let me work on getting some money together. I know I can't shoot mynext feature without a blimp. I'm also looking for a set of lenses for a 2c/b possibly with another camera if you know anyone selling one. Oh, and I still need a crystal motor too. lol

That is the rock bottom price, and you need to add the cost of shipping from Portland Oregon to that.

You could buy the same blimp, with hopefully all the parts(although there are many missing parts in the pictures on their web site, like the matte box), and maybe all the parts are working, but without the new soundproof glass and possibly not the ARRI crate, for $1650 from Visual Products:

ARRI Blimp at Visual Products

The set up I have that has worked in the blimp is using it with a Cinematography Electronics crystal motor pictured below:

2ccmb%20400x400.jpg

That is the only motor/camera combination that will fit into this blimp. I think you will have a big challenge finding lenses (as the RED feeding frenzy has gathered up most of the available 35mm glass) and the Cinematography Electronics crystal motors are also very hard to come by, and expensive.

Best,

-Tim