F 23 expert advice desired

Bob Hayes

I'm shooting a feature with the F 23 and I noticed there isn't much information on the camera out. Sony has articles that are pretty much useless. DPs explaining how much they love the camera and how great Sony is but nothing about how they set up the camera or techniques they have used. The Bulletin Boards I have found have minimal posts about post work flow. I realize it is a pretty new camera but does any one have any input regarding using the camera or perhaps good Web Sites regarding its use.

• Premium Member

I can't help you too much either, though I have played with the camera some, any specific questions?

Elhanan Matos, who posts here, is currently on the plane to New Orleans to DIT 'Robosapien' for the next 6 weeks, they have three F23s on that show, so I am sure he can shed some light on any questions once he gets settled in there.

Kevin Zanit

Elhanan Matos, who posts here, is currently on the plane to New Orleans to DIT 'Robosapien' for the next 6 weeks, they have three F23s on that show, so I am sure he can shed some light on any questions once he gets settled in there.

Funny you should mention it I am actually shooting the effects/second unit on "Robosapien" with Elhanan

• Premium Member

It is, I actually was on the phone with Elhanan saying he should log in to answer some stuff for you, "Bob Hayes, why did I just hear his name, oh . . . hes shooting 2nd unit on the show . . .".

Very small world, good luck with the show!

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I'll be shooting some tests tomorrow morning with the S-Log and the different color modes available, I'll try and see if our post dept. can digitize the tape for me later on and I'll be sure to share the results with everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you want to know? Are you just looking for literature on the menus?

My typical set up is 23.98psf, 4:4:4 using the Custom Shooting mode using either HyperGamma #4 ( High Con) or #3 (Low Con:Nights/Reaches into the blacks better). I use the F900 ( Rec 709 ) Colorspace for Boradcast. Paint as you see fit.

For a Features I recommend using the Cine Shoot Mode, D-Range: Extend, Color Space REC709 or DCM for Digi-Projection Standard. Only Black Balance is adjustable not WB.

Does that Help?

Dane Brehm

1st AC / DMT

San Francisco,CA

RED | F23 | Viper

www.videofax.com

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I'm shooting a feature with the F 23 and I noticed there isn't much information on the camera out. Sony has articles that are pretty much useless. DPs explaining how much they love the camera and how great Sony is but nothing about how they set up the camera or techniques they have used. The Bulletin Boards I have found have minimal posts about post work flow. I realize it is a pretty new camera but does any one have any input regarding using the camera or perhaps good Web Sites regarding its use.

I'm many days late with a reply here, but according to an email I got from Sony, they don't offer anykind of training or documentation on the F23 or F35 "as yet". I'm not sure why this is.

• 2 months later...

Bob, Elhanan,

So did you end up shooting in S-Log, or another setup?

I've used the Genesis a bunch, but not the F23 yet (but its coming up) -- it seems S-LOG is pretty similar to Panalog, I would think shooting in that mode and using a LUTHER / GAMMA BOX would be a good combo... But I also understand it can spit out a REC709 Monitoring image, is this right? without affecting the recorded image, correct?

Thanks for your input.

Funny, I left a show in New Orleans just as Robosapien went there... I wish I was reading the threads (its hard to find time), I would have said hi.

Thanks.