New affordable Super16 lenses!!! (maybe)

Bert Smith

Hello everyone.

Well, here is some new and interesting news. Kowa has a new line of industrial C-mount lenses called the 1" Megapixel Series. They boast an astonishing and nearly unbelievable 120 lp/mm in the center!!!!

And they sell for somewhere around $300 each. They have an image circle of 16mm (so plenty good for S16), and they come in the most excellent lengths:

8mm f1.4 (holy snot! 8mm!!)

12.5mm f1.4

16mm f1.4

25mm f1.4

35mm f1.4

50mm f1.4

75mm f1.8

http://www.rmassa.com/manu/kowa.htm

http://www.rmassa.com/specsheets/Kowa_FA_Catalog_2007.pdf

I dont know about anyone else, but if that claim is true, and if there is nothing that is preventing these lenses from properly mounting on our C-mount cameras, there is a new (affordable) sherrif in town, and his name is Kowa! (and he's Asian)

I dont know about anyone else, but if that claim is true, and if there is nothing that is preventing these lenses from properly mounting on our C-mount cameras, there is a new (affordable) sherrif in town, and his name is Kowa! (and he's Asian)

That's pretty cool, really. I don't know why it wouldn't be a true claim, except for the fact that not all 1 inch/ CCD c-mount lenses cover S16. I have some and most don't cover S16 and while I like them, some of them look better than others.

Kowa has been around for many years. They used to make affordable anamorphic lenses and adaptors which are nearly impossible to find today.

These Kowas could be used with the 2/3" SI2K mini or Pike HD video cameras as well, with some focal lenght/ field of view conversion, since these particular lenses are cover 1" sensors.

I just wish more HD cameras (HVX 200-like 1" sensor cam) were outfitted with c mounts. Then I could use some of my nicer c-mount cine lenses on them . . .

• Site Sponsor
That's pretty cool, really. I don't know why it wouldn't be a true claim, except for the fact that not all 1 inch/ CCD c-mount lenses cover S16. I have some and most don't cover S16 and while I like them, some of them look better than others.

I just wish more HD cameras (HVX 200-like 1" sensor cam) were outfitted with c mounts. Then I could use some of my nicer c-mount cine lenses on them . . .

Are you sure they are 1" lenses not 3/4" or 1/2" I THINK A 1" lens should cover S16 easily, the Kowa's look great i may just buy a 8mm and a 12mm for a filmo S16 project I am putting together.

-Rob-

Are you sure they are 1" lenses not 3/4" or 1/2" I THINK A 1" lens should cover S16 easily.

-Rob-

Yeah, I thought they would cover S16, that's why I bought them. Mine say 1 inch on the barrel, maybe they are mis-labeled. They are also no-brand cheapo lenses with some funky iris/ focus rings. The glass is OK and they were really cheap so it is no big deal. I am sure the Kowas are far better.

Has your C-mt been recentered for the S16 frame?

The 1" video format is 12.8mm x 9.6mm, while S16 is 12.4mm x 7.44mm.

If your C-mt is centered on the S16 frame, they should fit.

2/3" video is 8.8mm x 6.6mm, smaller than 16R. Almost the same as 16mm TV safe action area.

since i dont live in the states or have a flexible work day is there anybody that can call kowa and ask them about the backfocus distances? they seem to be all over the place for their lenses. then on another site i noticed they listed they products in a column and the mounts just said c or cs...im like you have to be kidding...if these suckers are 17.52mm out the back ill be chucking them on my mekel and away we go

ive also noticed some pictures have the lenses have focus and stop marks while others dont.

can anybody give these guys a call and see what the deal is with backfocus? id call but as i said work would blow a tube

Backfocus is the distance from the back of the rear element to the film plane when focused at infinity.

If it's too short it will interfer with the mirror shutter or Bolex prism.

Since most of the back focuses are within 2-3 mm of the flange focus, they shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe the 8mm is too short, but I only speculate.

The site also has a Fujinon 1" C-mt machine vision lens with a similar price range:

http://www.rmassa.com/manu/fujinon.htm