test red f23 ex1

hill jack

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awi...as_ex1_f23_red/

no idea if these people can be trusted, but they seem to be quite knowledgable

Adam Wilt is a well known reviewer. There were comments on RedUser about how rushed the testing was and not quite his usual standard. However, he is buying a RED, so I guess (as he says) you can regard his comments on the RED as being on a moving target.

• Premium Member

To be honest I didn't find this test very useful. For instance I would have put a Master Prime on the Red, so that the lens quality on both the Red and the F23 would have been the same, thereby taking the lens out of the equation. I'm sure other people can chime in about the post route (especially the scaling) that was applied to the images.

To be honest I didn't find this test very useful. For instance I would have put a Master Prime on the Red, so that the lens quality on both the Red and the F23 would have been the same, thereby taking the lens out of the equation. I'm sure other people can chime in about the post route (especially the scaling) that was applied to the images.

agreed. if your going to test.. have the same parameters

• Premium Member
agreed. if your going to test.. have the same parameters

Hard when comparing a camera that takes B4 HD lenses versus 35mm cine lenses, though certainly a Zeiss DigiPrime and a Zeiss Master Prime or Ultra Prime are all closer to each other than a Zeiss Super Speed. But there are limits in matching parameters.

• Premium Member
To be honest I didn't find this test very useful. For instance I would have put a Master Prime on the Red, so that the lens quality on both the Red and the F23 would have been the same, thereby taking the lens out of the equation. ....

I'd go farther. Comparing 2/3" with 35mm isn't apples and oranges, it's apples and watermellons. Compare D-20 with Red, and use the same lenses -- not just make and model, the exact same units.

-- J.S.

To be honest I didn't find this test very useful. For instance I would have put a Master Prime on the Red, so that the lens quality on both the Red and the F23 would have been the same, thereby taking the lens out of the equation.

I would think that opposite should be true. You want the lens in the equation. Basically, you want to the test the output of Red and F23, and hence, it is very important that your input to the two systems be the same. Putting the *same* quality lens on both will not do justice to smaller sized chip of F23 if the MTF of the lens is not matched with the F23 chip. As long as that is not true, which would happen frequently in practise, because of limited MTF of lenses, you want to *normalize* the input, and hence use correspondingly *different* lenses on both cameras that provide the same level of input detail in relation to their different sensor sizes.

• Premium Member

I was not suggesting that he should use the exact same lens on the Red as on the F23, after all that is impossible. My point is that the Master Prime is the 35mm equivalent of the Digi Prime used on the F23. Both of these lenses feature the latest in optical and mechanical design The Superspeed he used instead is a 20 year old lens that is just not as good.

I was not suggesting that he should use the exact same lens on the Red as on the F23, after all that is impossible. My point is that the Master Prime is the 35mm equivalent of the Digi Prime used on the F23. Both of these lenses feature the latest in optical and mechanical design The Superspeed he used instead is a 20 year old lens that is just not as good.

I see. Makes sense. You are right.

The resolution tests, even if they are only in the ballpark, pretty much confirm what I have been saying for 2 years now = Red is essentially a 2K camera. You should shoot 4K and finish 2K. When you look at it that way, the camera is a remarkable value. A dream camera in many ways.

I really wonder about that test of the guy with the beard holding the chart in the garden. Why was the RED shot so incredibly soft? Any chance this was a focus issue?

Hard when comparing a camera that takes B4 HD lenses versus 35mm cine lenses, though certainly a Zeiss DigiPrime and a Zeiss Master Prime or Ultra Prime are all closer to each other than a Zeiss Super Speed. But there are limits in matching parameters.

exactly. thats what I mean.. i shouldnt have said SAME.. but equivalent

We've been running around shooting stuff with Superspeeds on a Red for the last week. They're fun lenses (we've managed to get great looking shots under lighting conditions I never thought we could get away with), but not exactly the sharpest in the world.

• Premium Member
We've been running around shooting stuff with Superspeeds on a Red for the last week. They're fun lenses (we've managed to get great looking shots under lighting conditions I never thought we could get away with), but not exactly the sharpest in the world.

Hi Chris,

If they are stopped down to T2.8 the should be very sharp. One thing to bear in mind wide open is DOF is minimal, e.g on a close up of a face only one eye may be in focus. (or possibly nothing if your focus puller or colimination is slightly off)

Stephen