New James Bond Movie - 8x DALSA 4K Cameras

Illya Friedman

Guest tylerhawes

I'm glad to see some big projects using the Origin. Ever since the ASC comparison test last year, I've thought the Origin had the best overall image of the digital cinema cameras. Being able to grade RAW is now unlocking the full potential in post, too.

I'm glad to see some big projects using the Origin. Ever since the ASC comparison test last year, I've thought the Origin had the best overall image of the digital cinema cameras. Being able to grade RAW is now unlocking the full potential in post, too.

Here here!

14bit A/D from the Origin CCD is superior to 12bit A/D

16bit A/D to match 16bit Origin output would be better!

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

> 14bit A/D from the Origin CCD is superior to 12bit A/D

> 16bit A/D to match 16bit Origin output would be better!

One least-significant of 16bits -96dB.

If you think any current sensor has a noisefloor that low I will join you in encouraging people to use higher bit depth A/Ds.

Until that becomes possible we may as well stick to ten, and stop fooling ourselves that error diffusion by random noise is actually worth spending a lot of time and trouble recording at source when it can be just as easily reapplied later.

P

Guest tylerhawes
Until that becomes possible we may as well stick to ten, and stop fooling ourselves that error diffusion by random noise is actually worth spending a lot of time and trouble recording at source when it can be just as easily reapplied later.

How about 12 bits then. 16 might be a waste, but I think we can go to 12 and still be getting useful information.

• Premium Member
Hello all,

This story appeared in the Hollywood Reporter yesterday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...b8bc80e760240b1

I hear that the sequence looks absolutely AMAZING!

I.

Illya Friedman

DALSA

Digital Cinema Division

www.dalsa.com/dc

Congratulations Illya and the Dalsa family.

One least-significant of 16bits -96dB.

If you think any current sensor has a noisefloor that low I will join you in encouraging people to use higher bit depth A/Ds.

P

How I wish that I knew what any of that meant. ;)

Guest tylerhawes
Using uncompressed RAW was mentioned in some reports on the Bond shoot. Is this an option on Codex digital disks? I'm Just asking because I read that it used JPEG 2000.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and reply, since I don't know the answer to this specifically with Codex. However, even if it is JPEG2000 compressed, it is still the RAW image, uninterpreted and unprocessed (except the compression), so you should still be able to debayer as usual, only the source is not as good as uncompressed. This is what RED does, since from what I understand of REDCODE it is essentially their proprietary adaptation of JPEG2000.

• Site Sponsor

I had a Baselight-4 loaded with allot of demo footage for three months, I thought the 4K northlight scans looked best but all the Origin demo footage was really impressive, the only real 35mil alternative I thought too bad no nice grain...

-Rob-

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I just happened to find this picture on the "broadcast buyer" website. It's from the set of James Bond. Each Codex recorder in this picture is connected to a DALSA camera.

Codex_on_007_-_James_Bond1_350.jpg

I.

Illya Friedman

DALSA

Digital Cinema Division

Woodland Hills, CA

www.dalsa.com/dc

Visit us at CINE GEAR EXPO this FRIDAY and SATURDAY (6/20 & 6/21)

• Premium Member

I'm so ignorant of how Dalsa works that it is pitiful. Someone explain to me how one of those units plus the camera head works. Are those the units that the cam downloads to between scenes or are these part of the live data stream?

I'm so ignorant of how Dalsa works that it is pitiful. Someone explain to me how one of those units plus the camera head works. Are those the units that the cam downloads to between scenes or are these part of the live data stream?

The camera outputs 4k DPX files via fiber optic cables to the Codex Digital (or S.TWO) Digital recorder... where it is stored and also converted to HD for previewing (via HD-SDI out) purposes.