• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

My other car is:

montage_index.jpg

lol.

I used to pimp out and 83 El Dorado, but got rid of that when gas got expensive. Now a days, if I'm hauling a lot of equipment, or shooting far off, i just borrow my friend's jeep Cherokee. Can't beat a six pack of beer a day for car rental!

I suggest, for the next off-topic, Favorite Bars of Cinematography.com (photos required) :rolleyes:

Daniel, I'm not looking at the car, I'm looking at the lush tropical vegetation in the background.

Fiji.

Some people...

P

Haha!

Phil, we have it all here; lush tropical vegetation, constant rain, beating tropical sun, high tropical humidity, huge tropical mosquitoes, tropical coup-mongering military men... yeah, paradise! ;)

• Premium Member
From what I have seen at the ASC parking lot, this could be a depressing topic . . . ;)

At most of the dinner meetings, my '95 Saturn is the worst beater of the bunch. There are a few DP's who go for pricey exotic cars, most just want to get from point A to point B. I also want to be able to park at point B without having to worry about the car getting ripped off. ;-)

-- J.S.

Keep in mind that those DPs at the ASC clubhouse might be driving unassuming 4-doors, but those are the guys who also might own a 120K prime lens set, or a 170K arri cam. Given the choice I would rather have the lenses and cameras....though if I could afford a new range rover on top of that, I'd take it.

I used to drive an old 91 dodge caravan as my primary set vehicle...it could cary lots of grip and 4x4s fit on end inside. That died on day one of the short I am finishing now, so I bought with what little money I could scrape together an 88 Ford F-250. Now that thing can haul some gear, my 3/4 ton grip truck! Once we finish that short, it looks like I have a feature after, and with money from that I think I can finaly buy a new fuel efficient four-banger (hybrid maybe? to offset my months of 250 driving?)...and keep the 250 around for 4xing trips out in jims creek (or for small indies that can't afford the full grip truck/uhaul rental. a truck is always handy)

• Premium Member
.... an 88 Ford F-250.

Strangely enough, I too have a Ford truck, an 85 F-350 long bed dually with the 460 V-8, 4.10 rear end and a lumber rack. It's only two wheel drive, but I've used it to pull down a couple 25 ft. cypress trees. I only put a couple hundred miles a year on it, so the single digit gas mileage doesn't hurt too much....

-- J.S.

Hi John,

That would have to be in a private forum! I don't think we want google / girlfriends / wives to have access to the information!

...unless we are seriously considering asking out penelope when she comes out. But that might be obsessive. I think we need a new forum for Buick. The 'way, way off-topic' forum.

John- 350? Ouch. Im hurting with the 250. But its 4 wheel drive, and last time I had to drive up a rediculously icy hill to get gear to take back to the rental house it was a life saver. 4 wheel is a nessisary in alaska.

My car is a 8 year old nissan something no interest in cars just want them to work . How about next topic . Women of Cinematography .com ? I am interested in that subject . :rolleyes:

If it's a Primera, chances are my dad participated in building it in some way. He used to build cars for Nissan before they laid him and 120 other off, he went into contingency planning for Newcastle Council.

thanks!

I have had the bus for about 4 years.

Took a lot of work to get it back on the road as it was sitting for 15 years, but it was meant to be. I passed up on buying it, but saved the ad, five years later the owner still had it, so I jumped on it.

-pete

I've seen it, that really is Nash's ride.

Then Nash is either single with no kids, or incredibly wealthy. If incredibly wealthy then I want to follow in his foot steps.

I do love that car and I have owned an A4 and an A6, Audi makes an incredibly good product.

Now I have a VW Touareg. The SUV that requires a masters in engineering to operate.

I live in super snow country, and when I say snow I really mean snow as in "shock" that snowbank is 20 ft high!!

We have a lot of huge hills here, I live at the bottom of one, the Touareg is an amazing machine for snow that's for sure.

I think Daniel Sheehy would have a heart attack if he had to live here! :D

But oh I love that R8!!

R,

ha, finally! that is my kind of topic!

1958 LLOYD Alexander 600TS

600cm, 24 roaring horsepower, and suicide doors!

lloyd1.jpg

lloyd2.jpg

1978 VW LT

30years, 30.000km! ..was on duty until 2005

also quite the racecar, 2liter petrol engine with massive 75hp for up to 3,5tons.

is about to become a mobile home, while leaving the outside as original as possible.

d16b_1.jpg

d061_1.jpg

(crappy photos from the seller)

1989 Volvo 740 Estate

2,3liter Petrol engine, 116hp, 301.000km!

my regular one, unkillable, still needs no oil whatsover, still going strong! built like a tank, a truly great car.

altmnstr_kb18.jpg

altmnstr_kb09.jpg

needles to say i really hate hate hate modern cars with a passion.

i want to drive a car that makes it possible to unterstand how it works, and makes it possible repair stuff yourself.

tupperware cars with computers built in are really not for me.

besides, i sadly have to say that there is not one modern car whos appearance i enjoy.

arrrr, cant edit the above post anymore, kinda annoying.

i might add that luckily, austrian law makes it possible to drive up to 3 cars with one license plate, one at a time of course, while only paying taxes and insurance for the strongest/most expensive one.

oh, and i forgot those two:

another volvo 740 for spare parts

DSC00108.jpg

and a 1983 golf series one, maybe for future restauration, time will tell....

DSC00105.jpg

• Premium Member
John- 350? Ouch. Im hurting with the 250.

It's funny how we all get so fixated on gas prices. Must be because it's in our face every day on big signs on the corners of major streets.

But when you figure it out, how many gallons do you use in a year? For me, it's about 1000. So a one dollar increase in the price of gas costs me a grand a year. That's nothing compared with property taxes or income taxes. And 8.25% or whatever it is today for sales tax -- that probably adds up to more than the increase in gas.

Bottom line, visibility trumps reality. ;-)

-- J.S.