Cars of Cinematography.com

Matthew Buick

Rupe, I can now see why you could afford to give me a free light meter!

I just found out, I have my own car, though I'm not qualified to drive it, it's my share of my late grandfather's will.

IT'S A BRAND SPANKING NEW CITROEN C4 VTS HDI IN THORIUM GREY WITH ALL OF 138BHP!!!!! :lol:

Well, it is used...just 37 miles on the clock. I just my Dad decided having my dream car would help me come to terms with the loss.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other car is:

montage_index.jpg

Yeeeah, SEPTA's roughly half the problem with the Philly scene! I remember one show I did in '06, traveling from South Philly to East Falls added roughly 3 hours to my day (its a 15 min drive, tops!). I was a grumpy MF'er on that shoot!

PhillyCarShare has become a godsend though, even if it eats up a good chunk of my day rate for a 14-16 hr rental? Anyway, used to drive a sweet Civic, but after it got totaled in a hit-n-run I used the insurance money to produce a flick? Yeah, I got my priorities straight! (That's OK, right before that incident Philly PD practically bent my driver's side door in half breaking in to move it when Hack was shooting in my 'hood. Damn you David Morse!

Here it is. My Alaskan Grip truck. If the short doesn't have the cash on hand to rent out the 5ton propper grip truck, this is what they get. In the back is an arri kit, a lowell 7 light kit, a 4 pro light kit, 7 C-stands, dolly, wedges, cribbing, two mombo combos, a 575 HMI and ballast, two dolly tracks, stingers, kino flo, speed rail, our 250lb turn table camera platform, various grip, 4x floppies, 4x with full grid, in the cab a big assortment of various flags, silks and nets, along with all the gell rolls.

griptruck1.jpg

Just shy of 1/2 million miles put on it. I should cross that threshold this year.

(picture was taken with my grips iPhone. Not bad for a camera phone eh?)

Edited by Michael Collier

• Premium Member
Yeeeah, SEPTA's roughly half the problem with the Philly scene! I remember one show I did in '06, traveling from South Philly to East Falls added roughly 3 hours to my day (its a 15 min drive, tops!). I was a grumpy MF'er on that shoot!

PhillyCarShare has become a godsend though, even if it eats up a good chunk of my day rate for a 14-16 hr rental? Anyway, used to drive a sweet Civic, but after it got totaled in a hit-n-run I used the insurance money to produce a flick? Yeah, I got my priorities straight! (That's OK, right before that incident Philly PD practically bent my driver's side door in half breaking in to move it when Hack was shooting in my 'hood. Damn you David Morse!

Philly car share is a godsend for me as well. I have a sweet prius and scion right next door to my apartment. It's not too bad off of my rate, overall when I have to use it, I try to incorporate it into the day rate I quote. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's when I wind up charging for some of my bag-o-goodies!

got to mention my 97' ford mondeo aspen diesel estate... cost me 300 quid with 200k on the clock, neither of the back doors close, the fuel caps bust, only i can lock the boot, turbo chargers gone so 0-30 in about a minute, wipers are out of service, only one window windy thing... need i go on.

... everyone mocks it, but guess who they crawl to when they need equipment lugged around.

aaah.... smug mode!

• 2 weeks later...
got to mention my 97' ford mondeo aspen diesel estate... cost me 300 quid with 200k on the clock, neither of the back doors close, the fuel caps bust, only i can lock the boot, turbo chargers gone so 0-30 in about a minute, wipers are out of service, only one window windy thing... need i go on.

... everyone mocks it, but guess who they crawl to when they need equipment lugged around.

aaah.... smug mode!

Is it a TDCi Mondeo?

think its just (or was anyway) a TD, but it lost its turboness whilst lugging a carload of source 4's up the m5, so i guess its just a diesel now.

im intrigued though, whats the TDCi? i thought my TD was the pinacle of human engineering... why would they need to make an upgrade.

ill try and post some pictures of the beast up later... remember they're not patches of rust, they're automotive beauty marks!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Keep in mind that those DPs at the ASC clubhouse might be driving unassuming 4-doors, but those are the guys who also might own a 120K prime lens set, or a 170K arri cam. Given the choice I would rather have the lenses and cameras....though if I could afford a new range rover on top of that, I'd take it.

Haha thats defiantly my story. I had the choice last year to buy an 2005 g35 coupe, or a new cannon XH-A1 and lighting kit, because I didn't have enough for both. Lets just say I am still riding in an 89 volvo station wagon. I cant say I have ever regretted that choice.

Haha thats defiantly my story. I had the choice last year to buy an 2005 g35 coupe, or a new cannon XH-A1 and lighting kit, because I didn't have enough for both. Lets just say I am still riding in an 89 volvo station wagon. I cant say I have ever regretted that choice.

hey, dont diss the 89 volvo station wagon, i drive one too and it is one of the very bestest cars on earth!

why would you want one of these tupperwarecars anyways?

• Premium Member
Flathead! Cool! From where?

The car lives in Las Vegas but was built in the San Fernando Valley in the mid 70's by one of my best friends. He was thinking of selling it and I could let it get away.

Here is a little car/engine info:

The block was purchased from Ford Obsolete in the San Fernando Valley in 1977. It is a NOS 59AB engine block that was bought with two others and Magna-fluxed. The best of the three blocks is in the car. The engine has forged pistons and 21A rods and full floating bearings on a 1950 Mercury forged crank. It has a three and 5/16? bore, and a three and 3/8? stroke.

1940 Ford hydraulic brakes make it stop. It has a '39 Ford 3 speed with '50 Ford gears

When my Buddy bought the car it was dead stock, and owned by a guy in the Antique Ford Club. It is the only chopped Fordor '33 I have ever seen or heard of.

• 1 month later...

That's beautiful Marc. I like the old school power equipment. When I was 21 I had a '49 Ford Custom sedan, all stock. My dream was to chop the top a few inches, cut out the door posts for a hardtop look, and then suicide the back doors, so that it would look super long and low, maybe drop a super charger in there, and a set of really high-volume (coolant wise) aluminum heads; there was a company (Baron I think) that made some high-compression aluminum heads for marine applications that were really tall because they held so much coolant, and they also made some really cool finned aluminum covers for them that made them look huge. It wasn't very realistic on a college student budget, though, so eventually I had to get rid of it.

Later I had a '64 El Camino that I was going to do sort of a hybrid rat rod/outlaw/dragster treatment to, with black suede paint, real subtle red and white von dutch striping, a 383 to go with the really tight close-ratio 4 speed I had in it, some wide whites, sitting way down in the weeds. Ah, to be rich enough to afford a garage and a cool project car to drive on a Saturday afternoon... Again, the reality of needing to finish college before the age of 30 kicked in and I sold it to get the Toyota pickup I still have. Way more sensible choice, but nothing sexy about it in any way, shape or form.

• 1 month later...

I drive this li'l thing:

823296_1G.jpg

Well, one like it, my plates are 159RCW (haven't got my camera here). No head-turner but it's got a V6 (YEHAW, Subsidized gas!! Imagine paying about 2.40 per gallon!) I would have preferred something older, but in Mexico City if you drive a car that's over eight years old you can't drive it two days per week, and one saturday pero month, regardless of wether it's exhaust is clean enough. I get to drive mine daily until the end of 2009. Damn, I'd have loved a Ford LTD ;)

Btw. Marc, your ford rules! And that VW Bus that was posted here some time ago ain't too bad eiher.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

I was driving an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage GT up until 6 months ago. I then decided to re-design the front end of it.

Best car I have ever driven 1 of only 112 ever made and now there is only 111 of them out there. 6Litre V12 Engine 0-60 in 4.4 seconds top speed 190 mph.

If you click on my news and blog link on the website you'll see the aftermath of hitting a stone wall at nearly 70mph.

I'm now back down to earth with a bump and driving a very practical Landrover Discovery 3, which is nice but doesn't even come close to the Aston.

www.steadicams.com

• Premium Member
I was driving an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage GT up until 6 months ago. I then decided to re-design the front end of it.

Best car I have ever driven 1 of only 112 ever made and now there is only 111 of them out there. 6Litre V12 Engine 0-60 in 4.4 seconds top speed 190 mph.

If you click on my news and blog link on the website you'll see the aftermath of hitting a stone wall at nearly 70mph.

I'm now back down to earth with a bump and driving a very practical Landrover Discovery 3, which is nice but doesn't even come close to the Aston.

www.steadicams.com

Hi Rich,

So there is more money in steadycam operating than Phil would lead us to believe LOL.

Stephen