(HDR-FX1) Optimal Settings for Pans?

Lee Maisel

• Premium Member

This is Maddening. I spent the day capturing beautiful footage of some outdoor shots, and after importing them in FCP, they seem kind of jerky, with the squiggly lines.

What are the optimal settings (camera) to use during the shots?

And am I maybe doing something wrong in the import?

I believe I have the camera set at 1080i and shutter of 60.

• Premium Member

Can you do a screen cap to show us an example of "jerky, with squiggly lines"? That sounds like you might just be seeing the way interlaced footage looks on a progressive (computer) screen.

Try applying a deinterlace filter to a segment of your footage, render it, and then play it back. If that clears up the problem, then you know it's just a display problem. Also try outputting the (raw) footage to tape or DVD. If it looks fine on tape/DVD, then again you know it's just a display problem.

• Premium Member

Thanks! I'll try it! It probably is the Mac display. It does kindof look fine in FCP, but in Quicktime player it looks like crap.

Another funny thing is, on static scenes, the clouds moving look like they are marching back one step, then forward!

• Premium Member
Just to be clear, I meant export the footage WITHOUT deinterlacing. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

So, when I export to DVD it's better to NOT deinterlace?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
So, when I export to DVD it's better to NOT deinterlace?

Thanks!

Not if you want to display the footage the way you shot it! I meant export the footage to DVD without deinterlacing to see if it still looks okay on DVD. If the normal, unaffected, raw footage plays back fine on a DVD then you'll know your problem was simply the playback on the computer.